WIP: First BattleMap: Ice Caves

2»

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

It is difficult to know why that is without the FCW to look at.

Please can you upload it for us?

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Well, no effects certainly won't work, they need the point light setup effect with a shadow length of 0 (infinite) on their sheet.

• Simple way to create interior "shadows" in the corners of your walls is what i sometimes do.....get rid of your shadow and put a black glow on the outside of your cave walls (If you have a bevel, make sure it is at the top of your effects listing [the glow]) - play with the range, etc. It's a quick and easy fix :) Excellent map for the contest!

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

Light Blockers go on a sheet with a Point Light Setup effect. When you want to have the lighting finished (usually on your last sheet or thereabouts), use Point Light Finalize.

As Remy pointed out, make sure that the blockers are at least several pixels thick because the raycasting technique used in Point Light Setup can step past corners on stairsteps for very thin edges.

[Deleted User]Loopysue
  • I will try all suggestions. Thanks!

@Loopysue I will ASAP.

@Lorelei hmm, contest?

thanks

Cal

• edited January 2021

Ok, I cannot get light blockers to work, alas ?

Here's a screenie and the FCW.

Note I placed the scale and its rectangle on WALLS2; and, I tried a light setup and finalize to no avail. I still get the shadows .

Also, could I critique a bit? ? Edit all Lights does not indicate which lights are which, therefore making it tedious to edit the lights. Obviously, I have yet to master the dungeon lighting heh.

Anyway, here ya go:

PS: I'd better explain more clearly. I did place a poly on the WALLS2 sheet in one wall on the map, turned on the light point setup and then finalize with zero result---no change to light and shadow in that area. I don't need to tell you guys how to hide everything to see that little area ?

edited January 2021

Uh, in the file you posted there is nothing on the WALLS 2 sheet, not is there a point light, setup on that sheet.

I've attached a version of your file where I threw in some crude light blockers on this sheet, to prevent the outside light from illuminating the walls. I placed them a bit from the edge to show the edge of the wall, but they block the light from getting far into the wall.

Also note you should put your bitmaps in the final resting place before using them in a map. The paths for many of your fills refer to your download directory. The next time you clean up your download directory and moves the files to a better locations, those ice fills will suddently start showing red X'es.

LoopysueTheschabi
  • Thanks, Remy

I am studying what you've done.

On the fills, which folder should they go in? I tried @bitmap, but this didn't work. I still had to tell CC3+ where the bitmaps were located.

thanks

Cal

Personal textures are best put in a custom subdirectory under @bitmaps, such as @bitmaps\Tiles\Calibre

No matter where you put them, you will always have to tell CC3+ where to find them, CC3+ doesn't pick up new files automatically

Calibre
  • I have seen geology programs and there are instances of ice caves deep in mountains. Not in the tropics though.

Calibre