How do I add variations in textures?

Hi, I'm a new user of CC+. It's been working well for me so far. But, I've noticed that the textures (grass, stone, etc) look extremely repetitive and stale when I zoom out. This is a big problem especially in City Designer and Dungeon Designer. Is there a way to introduce random variations in them so that they appear more natural and organic?

Answers

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

All seamless textures have repeating patterns in them. But there are a couple of ways of disguising this.

The first is to scale the texture so that it is not repeated as many times in the visible area. Be careful that you don't make the scale so large that the textures pixelate in the final output.

The second is to add patches of the partly transparent textures (DD3) on a new sheet above the terrain or ground sheet, with a nice Edge Fade Inner sheet effect on that sheet, or patches of a similar texture that is related to the first on it.

I haven't given you very much detail because there is a chance you won't need to do either of those things. If the map is still in an early stage of development with large blank areas the simple act of adding buildings or details may hide a lot of these things.

[Deleted User]DaishoChikara