[WIP] Community Atlas - River Watch - Druid villages

2»

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

They're lovely Quenten :)

Just a side note here, but since you are using Scott's set of Celtic village symbols a tip you might consider for future is that if you set the resolution to fixed and Very High just before you render the images those little white lines in the roof shading will disappear. It's caused by the fact that the lower resolutions of the map image are antialiased when they are generated by CC3, so the line between 100% red and zero red is blurred where it needs to remain sharp. In effect that blurred line of pixels in the map file causes the shading to swing to the lit side and back again in one narrow stripe.

[Deleted User]
  • Here is Oakland in Spring.

Oakland (Talamdarach)

This hamlet primarily produces dairy products, especially fine soft (Greenwebs) and hard cheeses (Epicure). It uses both cow’s milk and goat’s milk. The goats are also raised for their wool, and the spinstress creates fantastic patterns to make woollen cloaks and jumpers with the famed Druidhome pattern. This is the main export from the valley – each garment is highly sought after at the Royal Court.

In addition, with the marvellous water of the village pond (via a spring), the druids produce a very fine whiskey.

Important people

Eldest Druid: Lorrellen Treiniel, a very powerful elven druid/sorceress (the most powerful in the valley, in fact) who was the first druid to found a settlement in Druidhome 127 years ago. She has a rather gleeful sadistic side to her – it was she who ordered the sacrifice of the hapless Cieran (see below) to sanctify their stone circle. At least, she named it for him. She is very interested in the occult and serology. She studies the sky each night, and has written various treatises on the heavens above.

She has a small dog she befriended via her Charm Animal spells. The dog has a disturbing tendency to nip the heels of the goats and some other druids (whom Lorrellen rather dislikes). Needless to say, Lorrellen finds this very amusing.

She is the on again-off again lover of Galad Fenevriel, the discoverer of Druidhome, Jenolan Cave and the Portal. She has been through the Portal several times in the early period of settlement. She is rather tight-lipped about it, but she ceased after she visited a plague-ridden world full of leaders who ignored it and instead jockeyed for power while their world both heated up and fell prey to death, doom and disaster. As a result, Queen Miriel has since ordered a complete cessation of travel through the portal.

Perhaps the most surprising about her is that she is a Darkelf, (a refugee from the continual bloodletting in Verinress’Arl, from which she fled), one of the three such that is trusted by the Queen.

Healer: Jimeoin Abbotien is the healer for the village. He loves scents and flowers, and has made quite a few scented oils which he uses in his massage therapies. He is rather sarcastic in a self-disparaging way, and is quite cynical about people’s motives (especially those at the Royal Court, where he was Court Physician till he tired of treating wealthy hypochondriacs)

Gromeit Enwallais is the chief cheesemaker. He is a rather absent-minded halfelf of considerable girth, who also likes to invent various contraptions – many of which only work once!

Arachniel Atenis is the master spinner and creator of the Druidhome pattern. She is rather haughty and acts in a superior stand-offish manner possibly due to the acclaim she receives for her work at court and elsewhere on Nibirum. It takes about 2 years for an order to be fulfilled, she has so many who lust for her garments.

Important sites

Their sacred site for all weekly rituals is the lintelled stone circle of Cieran, a human intruder early in the settlement years. He was burned alive in a wicker man, then his ashes interred under the central altar stone.

I have pictured it in Spring, the season where most of the cheesemaking work is done. 

• That's 497 maps now, according to the Downloads page in the Atlas!

JimP
  • I hope you liked the Lorellen Character, Lorelei. ?

• And Sue, I hope you chuckled at the sinister Suzanti Rodentiel

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Er... no! Sorry. I completely missed it! LOL!

I laugh now ;)

[Deleted User]
  • She is fantastic (heehee) and i am going to use her in my campaign - i just love your background stories.