Community Atlas - Peredur - Torstan Castle [WIP]

I have made a start on Torstan Castle, which is modelled after Carrickfergus Castle, one of my favourite castles, in Ulster.

Here is the map to date. I am not quite happy with the rocks yet, and I have more crenellations to do. As well, some catapults etc. I used Weatherman Sweden's great wave edge striping. I also managed to get the frame so the dark edge was all inside (and hid a bit of an overlap problem with roses from CSUAC).

Is there anything either in the map or what structures should be there etc, etc, etc? (think The King and I with Yul Bryner). I know the sea is a bit too repetitive, but i will fix this with the next iteration.

My plan is to do 4 floors and a basement - I have most of them already figured out on paper. The keep will be 4 storeys, the towers 3, the walls 2 and the buildings 1.

I also have included the map plan of Carrickfergus Castle itself, plus a few diagrams and photos I took when Trina and I were there in August 2017.

LoopysueMonsenRaikoLillhansDaishoChikaraCalibre

Comments

• Here are some of my photos, and some more diagrams. Also a bit of history, and how they kept prisoners. A very uncomfortable place - no standing room. I soon got out of there.

LoopysueMedioDaishoChikara
  • LoopysueLoopysue 🖼️ 15 images Mapmaker ProFantasy

Great mapwork there, Quenten :)

This is a pure coincidence, but have you heard about the November mapping competition being run by Michael Tracey over on DND/RPG Maps on FaceBook? It's being sponsored by Profantasy, and the subject is castle maps.

No worries if you aren't a member of that group, but it's right here if you want to show your stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/256388815313777/permalink/680900526195935/?notif_id=1605854734852506&notif_t=group_post_mention&ref=notif

Quenten
  • Thanks for this Sue - I have just entered my map

• MonsenMonsen 🖼️ 43 images Mapmaker Administrator
    edited November 21

Very nice. I love castles.

But wouldn't the ground inside the walls be mostly dirt, and not paving stones?

• edited November 21

Well, it was paving in the real castle. And this is the King's capital city and chief city residence. His favourite place is a sprawling manor at Murky Frogbottom, however.

DaishoChikara
  • MonsenMonsen 🖼️ 43 images Mapmaker Administrator

But was the paving historically there, or something that had been put in there at a later stage (it still look historical, and is much better when you have lots of visitors). When I look at the drawings you posted and the picture of the model, it certainly looks like dirt in most of the courtyards.

• Much of it was later. Some was dirt, I admit. But not in Torstan's Royal Castle. Be thankful he didn't order marble (he is a bit like Mad Ludwig of Bavaria).

And no matter what you say, I will come up with increasingly ridiculous reasons to say why it isn't so in Torstan Castle. 😝

Loopysue