Vintyri Collection Install on a Mac, OS Catalina

Hi All,

I'm seriously considering adding these products to my CC3+ installation but I'm just not sure how to do this and I certainly do not want to stuff up my existing installation which is the Humble Bundle offer + all the Annuals + CA3. Any advice will be super helpful.

I'm running CC3+ via Crossover 19 (an app that allows WINE stuff to run on a 64-bit machine).

Comments

• suntzusuntzu Betatester Traveler

i would download the linux version , this is a manual install , but first use crossover to create an archive of your installation that way if you stuff it up you can just restore from the archive and have another go

jmabbott
  • Thanks @suntzu

I'll have a look at that over the weekend.

• 17 days later
  • Did you try this, jmabbott? I already own CC3+ but I'm considering the Humble Bundle to gain a couple pieces that I don't already have (the Bundle expires in a few days). So if you've got this running on macOS Catalina, I'd love to hear about it, particularly any configuration options that were necessary in Wine/Crossover.

I don't have any problem installing additional software on my Mac (I have Homebrew and already do a fair amount of open source development), but I'd rather not infest the machine with Windows software unless I know it will work. I could always run CC3+ inside a virtual machine (which is my typical approach, although I haven't been GM'ing and thus haven't needed to use CC3+ in quite awhile).

Thanks for your info!

• Hi @Azhrei, I haven’t tried it yet. I’ve made an archive version of my existing bottle and then, when I’m finished the commission I’m working on, will duplicate the bottle and attempt to install it. If it all goes without issue I’ll then use that as my primary bottle.

• Thanks for the update. I'm going to start a new thread on getting CC3+ (specifically, the Humble Bundle from this weekend) working on macOS Catalina...

• @Azhrei As far as I know, the only way to get CC3+ functional on a Mac running Catalina WITHOUT a virtual machine of some sort is via Crossover, which I'm sure you're aware of. The installation is order is very important:

Create a Windows Bottle, I used a Windows 8 64-bit bottle and called it Campaign Cartographer, go figure.

Install CC3+ first as an unlisted application into that bottle. When the Windows install wizard is finished, do not open CC3+ from the prompt, close the install wizard instead. Crossover will then finish doing its thing.

Open CC3+ and once open, close it.

Then repeat the above with the various add-ons, CD3, DD3, TT, then all the other stuff. You must open CC3+ after the installation of each add-on before proceeding.

• AzhreiAzhrei Newcomer
    edited November 2020

I'm a cheap bastard, so I'm going the non-commercial route first. Wine was a bust because they don't support 32-bit apps on 64-bit Catalina (and their attitude is that the Crossover approach isn't a good solution from a technical standpoint, so they're not using it; it'll be Wine 6.0 before they're likely to have a 32-bit solution; they're currently on Wine 5.0).

The PlayOnLinux/PlayOnMac tool claims to support 32-bit apps, but so far I haven't had any luck installing CC3+. The POL/POM tool works fine and I can install other Windows apps, but CC3+ gives an error that it cannot install the VC++ 2017 redistributable files for some reason. (I may have located the problem — the script that is doing the extraction has "/" as its current directory, but I haven't been able to confirm this is actually an issue yet.)

I'm taking notes and will put them on my web site and then link to them from here when I get something working. Or if I get frustrated and give up, I'll document what I attempted and still link to it from here. Right now I'm waiting on a response to my post on the POL/POM forum regarding where I'm getting stuck...

• Well Crossover works, whether or not it's a good solution from a technical standpoint is not for me to say. I've no technical expertise to draw on here. Unless I've done something terribly wrong and I don't think I have, the main issue I have is the function key shortcuts for the CAD modifiers, i.e. endpoint, on, middle and so forth don't work. It could be that you might need to press Ctrl-F# or some such to make it happen, I actually haven't tried that, I suppose I could experiment when I make my copy installation.

• 13 days later
  • I've started a thread over at PlayOnMac and I was finally able to install CC3+, but now I've hit an issue in which any attempt to open a file chooser causes a lockup. https://www.playonmac.com/en/topic-17487-Trouble_installing_CC3_from_ProFantasy.html

I'm still going to work through this. I'll have some additional time over the holidays so maybe I'll make progress...

jmabbott