Opening multiple instances of CC3+ on a Mac with OS Catalina

edited November 2020 in Community Support

Hi All,

Is there a way to run 2 instances of CC3+ as above (via Crossover 19)? I'm trying to copy some stuff from a large map to make a regional map and it's not working for me. For some reason it's not pasting from the clipboard, so I thought if I could have another instance running that may make it easer. When I go Ctrl-V (or Paste) it asks me to Place? Which is weird.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited November 2020

I don't know how to do that on a MAC, but you should be able to copy things across without having to have more than one instance of CC3 open anyway.

Check that you are defining a copy origin. The most common reason for there being nothing on the clipboard is that nothing was copied because no copy origin was provided.

When you copy something from a map in CC3 you have to give it a copy origin. This is easily done by typing 0,0 on your keyboard and hitting the Enter key, when prompted for the copy origin at the command line.

Similarly, when you paste into the new map you just type 0,0 again and hit enter when you are prompted to do so. This will place the paste in exactly the same position as the original.

• edited November 2020

Hi Sue,

The first time I tried I did forget the origin point and the clipboard was empty, the second time however, I did specify 0,0 as the origin point and when I tried to paste using both the shortcut Ctrl-V and the menu option, the Command prompt was to Place with options for Rotating and scaling. I entered 0,0 and the prompt came back as CC3 does not understand the command 0,0. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong because I've done this before and it worked.

As a separate question, when you save as a Rectangular Section JPEG or PNG and specify a page size and resolution, e.g. 8" x 11" at 300ppi, shouldn't the image be just what is in the selection window, with white space for any area on the 'page' not covered with the image? In the below, my black rectangle was the selection window. Why is the page filled with extraneous parts of the map? I didn't really notice this on my other commission pieces as they were B&W already...

N.B: The copyright notice was added via Indesign.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

How the map is cropped when the rectangular selection does not match the aspect ratio you have set up through your export dimensions depends on the settings in the export dialog. You'll want to enable the crop image to aspect ratio option.

For the pasting, have you tried simply clicking in the map? The "Place" prompt is a message from CC3+ that it needs you to tell it where to place something, like whatever you are pasting from the clipboard. This can be done by either clicking with your mouse, or by typing the coordinates.

• @Monsen Thanks Remy for sorting the Save thing for me...one of those pesky little check boxes that are easily overlooked (I suppose I should read the appropriate section of The Tome or CC3+ manual...). I will read that section of the manuals, as this is something that I need to get right for commissions.

Re the pasting, yes I clicked in the map, nothing happened. I typed the co-ordinates 0,0 and got "CC does not understand the 0,0 command" or something very similar. I'll try again tonight and if I have the same problem I'll take a screen shot. It was very weird.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

How is the size of the things you are pasting? If you follow Sue's instructions and use 0,0 for the coordinates when copying, if copying from a large area map to a smaller area one, the things you are pasting are likely to be far outside your current view window.

As for the error message, did the command line still read "Place (...) " at the time you typed the coordinates? Typing them when CC3+ expects a new command will absolutely give that error message.

• edited November 2020

@Monsen I'm going from a large area map, see above, to a smaller regional map. I drew a selection rectangle with the rectangle drawing tool on the 'sketch' sheet with snap turned on and measured both W & H it's 200H, can't recall the W, then created a new overland map in the desired style, in this case MS Overland Hex, at those dimensions. Went back and did the copy using the menu version, rather than Ctrl-C. I typed (when I did it the second time) 0,0 as my origin point. See below, approximate copy area bounded in red.

• I feel like such a goose. The problem was I didn't change the default map size and for some reason my pasted entities were way off the map (and really small!). So that's one issue solved.

The next issue is, the publisher wants the map in 5km hexes with a 50km hex overlay. Now when I try to do that the hexes don't line up, i.e. create 2 grids. Any ideas? The map size is 260w x 200h. I would've thought the grids would share the same origin point, i.e. 0,0 so they should line up...

I've just drawn this one using the "select points" option. I drew the first 5ft grid allowing it to generate a snap grid, then used that snap grid to pick the select points position for the 50ft grid.

jmabbott
  • Thanks Sue,

I'll try that tomorrow. I've moved on to the dungeon maps in the Ancient Tombs style and have to re-watch Ralf's vidoe and read the guide. I've got a an issue with the corners that I'm sure Ralf resolved in one of those...

• You can cheat and just move the large hex so it aligns properly.

JimPjmabbott
  • edited November 2020

@mike robel I tried that but doing so overflows the edges on one side and leaves a gap on the other... I'm sure I've done this before and got the hex perfectly aligned, by which I mean each vertex of a large hex is on a vertex of a small one (or vice versa) rather than being slightly offset as in @Loopysue's example, where 1/2 the larger hex vertices are in the centre of a small hex.

Regarding the wall issue mentioned above, I worked it out. Ralf mentioned it in the perspective style mapping session IIRC but it's the same for the 2d version. I just need to place a 1 ft piece of wall in the offending corners, I used the wall symbols, rather than the drawing tool for the wall, hence the gap.

edited November 2020

If you mean like this

That's just a matter of which snap point you pick to start your grid. If you get the wrong one just hit ESC and try again.

Don't forget that you don't have to have your grids perfectly matched with the edges of the map, because the overlap will be hidden by the screen and frame of the map. It is highly unlikely that your map will be exactly and perfectly a whole number of hexes in either direction, but that is perfectly normal. If you are really intent on trying to align the whole grid system on the map, try for just one of the corners (which equates to 2 adjacent sides). More than that is a bit extreme.

jmabbott
  • @Loopysue That's awesome and exactly what I'm looking for. So when you draw the grid how do you choose the snap point? If you hit ESC and re-do, does that replace the last drawn grid? If so, that's brilliant. I always delete the grid and then re do it.

I understand about the map edges but when you draw a grid , as far as I can see, it's drawn to the extent of the map so if you were to move it slightly, 1 edge will be in the screen and the opposite edge will have a gap between the edges of the hex and the map border.

This method will give you a great visual grid, but doesn't really sort out a snapping grid. I am assuming that your client isn't going to be using CC3 him or herself, so the CC3 snapping grid is only relevant if you need it to align things in the map with the grid...

• Use the Select Points option both times, and the set snap grid option only for the first grid of smaller hexes. That's the snap grid you will use to align the grids with each other.
    • If you draw the 5ft grid first, drawing it to one side of the map a little larger than the map itself, when you draw your 50ft grid over it pick one of the intersections of 3 small hexes as the starting point for the 50ft grid.
    • Once you have both grids drawn, group them so they can be moved as one object, switch on Attach, and use the move tool to pick them up by the intersection you want to place at the origin of your map. Then type the coordinates 0,0 and hit enter. This will align the intersection at the origin of your map, which (unless you have moved the frame and screen around by hand) should be the bottom left corner.
    • The User snap grid is useless to you now, even though you created it with the small hexes, so right click the Grid button and pick it and delete it.
    jmabbott
  • @Loopysue Thanks Sue,

I'll give that a crack. That's info you can only get from experience!

• 1 month later
  • @DavidSmitis I just updated my OS to Big Sur and it was a big mistake! CC3+ will not open via Crossover 19.0.2. The only option is apparently to upgrade to Crossover 20.0.

For the $30 odd dollars it is, I'd rather buy a Windows license and run CC3+ via the Bootcamp partition if I have to put up with this BS every time I do an update...

Plus, I also think CC3+ will run better in a proper Windows environment, well I hope it will! Because that's what I'm going to do.

Loopysue