Urgent problem - error when saving

So, about twenty minutes ago, CC3+ suddenly started doing this out of nowhere:

It throws up this error message when I hit CTRL+S or if I access the File menu and click Save. Right after the first time it happened, it was initially giving me the error EVERY time I tried to save, which freaked me the hell out as I wondered if I'd somehow lost the ability to save altogether. A short while later, it randomly succeeded in saving once, then went back to giving me the error message. Further testing showed that it doesn't give me the error message every singe time, sometimes it seems to just save as normal, but I'd say I get the error about 90% of the time. (I tried "Save As" and just saving with the same filename, clicking Yes on the prompt warning that the file already exists and do I want to replace it, and got the same results; usually it throws up the error, every now and then it saves successfully).

If I close the program while there is unsaved work, it DOES still give me the "Save changes to...?" prompt, and if I click Yes, it DOES save those changes. So that's a relief.

However, I've determined (by adding some symbols, then trying to CTRL+S to save and getting the error, then clicking No on the close prompt) that if I get the error, it does indeed NOT save in that moment.

This issue crops up on ALL CC3+ maps; I opened several different FCW files (including some I haven't opened in years) and had the same results. I restarted my computer, but no change.

Needless to say, I really need to figure out what's going on here and how to solve it ASAP. Kinda scared to even do any work in any maps right now since I have no idea what has gone wrong. Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker

Are you always saving in the Dropbox? Can you change to a "normal" folder on your drive, e.g. under My Documents?

Try running CC3+ "as admin" by right-clicking the desktop shortcut and under Properties set it to "always run as administrator". Any change?

LoopysueCiel
  • CielCiel Traveler

Hey Ralf, thanks for the suggestion. As for running as Admin, I already always do that; ages ago I read that CC3/CC3+ work better (for reasons I can no longer remember) when you run them as admin, so I just always do.

As for Dropbox, weird things are happening, lol.

Last night, about 30 mins after I made my post, I re-opened CC3+ and tried again, and the problem seemed to be gone. Then I had to go to bed, and just now I tried it again and the problem is back.

So I tried saving it to a non-Dropbox folder as you suggested, and indeed it seems to work fine. So it could have something to do with that but... that's really weird if so. I've been saving directly to Dropbox folders for years and I've never encountered this before. I am doing a bunch of big video uploads to Dropbox right now, and was last night as well (like, a couple hundred GB, the kind of uploading that will take many hours to complete - I didn't leave my PC on overnight so it just immediately started uploading again when I turned it back on this morning), so I would say, that cold be causing a snag somewhere... except I've done THAT before too, worked on CC3 stuff while there's a huge upload queue, and never had any saving issues. But, the problem DOES seem to just be completely gone when saving to local folders. So I don't know. Maybe something changed with how Dropbox handles file overwrites when there's a big upload queue, and that change is mucking up the save process in CC3+?

Whatever the exact cause, since it does SEEM to be related to Dropbox, I'll just save in a local folder, at least for now. I'll see if the issue goes away once this huge backlog of uploads is finished, and I'll consider whether I need to move to a non-Dropbox save folder permanently and just do regular copy+paste dumps into Dropbox to keep my CC3 files backed up there.

Thanks!

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

It could very well be that queue causing issues. Technically, a the dropbox folder is no different from any other local folder, but the dropbox software continuously monitors that folder to be able to synv changes. And whenever it needs to sync changes, it will need to lock the files (it cannot let a file get overwritten while int he process of syncing it, that would corrupt the sync). So when you don't have a queue, the sync is always completed between saves, but with lots of things to do, dropbox may keep the lock on the file for a longer time.

LoopysueCiel
  • The remnants of zeta could be playing havoc with the internet to.

• CielCiel Traveler

I think the Dropbox thing must be it, yeah. I can't see any other explanation since it works fine when I save to local folders. Weird because I've been able to do it in the past, but maybe the queue was being handled differently (i.e. the order of which files were queued first) for some reason.

In any case, crisis averted! When I initially didn't think it had anything to do with Dropbox but was an internal CC3+ problem, I was pretty worried, as "the ability to save" is, y'know, kind of important ?

Thanks all.