October challenge: Area 17 WIP

I'm going to be working on this fairly solidly today. Just getting started with about a week to get finished - sudden health issues and other projects got in the way before now. I will get finished before the end of the month, but would like to break the back of it today.

My first step has been pretty simple - to take the FCW file of the city and delete everything except the area I am developing. I've put a pink ring around the buildings that are the main focus of my area. I want to develop a mini district of connected buildings - I am thinking either an area devoted to gem and jewellery working, or an academic area - schools, bookshops, similar - we'll see which idea I actually follow.

RaikoLoopysue

Comments

• So I have two ideas and 12 buildings to work with.

I really enjoy developing cities - my largest ever CC3+ project is a large city. And I have some books to help me. Two of my favourite books for this purpose - one old, and one new - are Midkemia Press' Cities book from 1981 (I am always amused to see 'Ray Feist' as the fourth listed person in the acknowledgements of that book) and the much more recent 'City Builder' from the Skirmisher Game Development Group.

So I've pulled both of these out and gone through to make a shortlist of 12 buildings for each idea.

And that has solidified my choice for me. I realised I was finding more inspiration for my second idea - the academic district.

Not every one of the buildings has to specifically match (a tavern can fit anywhere) but I wanted most to do so.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

I can easily see a Gemcutter fitting in in the academic quarter in a fantasy city. Those wizards tends to be large consumers of gems for various magical purposes.