Color variety for city layers?

Probably more of a feature request, but would be great if we could assign a range of colors to city layers so we get some color variety. I've been creating two layers and mixing it up that way, but feels like this should be a built-in feature. Could macros be used to pull something like this off? Or XPs (are they supported)?

Best Answer

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Accepted Answer

The main purpose behind this function is to create demographics, a range of colors would kind of defeat the purpose of that. When you want a pretty city you have the actual buildings/symbols. I doubt this function will be expanded to support multiple colors per layer, although that would be up to ProFantasy, not me.

The actual command to change the house layer (CHANGEHL) should work in a macro though, so if you have a predefined set of layers, I am guessing you could write a macro that takes all the houses on one layer and randomly assigns them to similar layers.

Since this is just about adjusting layers, I guess it should also be fine doing it from an XP if you feel like writing one.

Answers

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

You mean sheets, not layers I think.

What is it you want to change the colour of? A symbol or a fill?

• argel1200argel1200 Traveler
    edited October 2020

No, I meant layers. The BLDNG ones used for city color layers specifically. Instead of having a single color for say BLDNG(MARKET) I'd like to have 2 or 3 colors that are distributed out randomly. For a market place, a variety of colors would be great. For say military, maybe varying shades of red. Basically, a way to leverage City Color Layers to add some color variety so the system works for me, not against me.

Edit: this uses two color layers, but I'd like to have one color layer that distributes the colors (maybe a percentage so some colorrs will be rarer and other more common).

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Accepted Answer

The main purpose behind this function is to create demographics, a range of colors would kind of defeat the purpose of that. When you want a pretty city you have the actual buildings/symbols. I doubt this function will be expanded to support multiple colors per layer, although that would be up to ProFantasy, not me.

The actual command to change the house layer (CHANGEHL) should work in a macro though, so if you have a predefined set of layers, I am guessing you could write a macro that takes all the houses on one layer and randomly assigns them to similar layers.

Since this is just about adjusting layers, I guess it should also be fine doing it from an XP if you feel like writing one.

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

It sounds like you want a tool that would randomly pick a color for the symbol out of a set of colors when placing it.

Me too, man. Me too.

Loopysueargel1200