Random Houses using CA161?

Is there a way to have Random Houses use the houses from CA161 Ryecroft Town (preferably the vari-color ones)?

Answers

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

I think it does that already.

If you right click the House button you can pick the type of house you want.

• The buildings listed for CA161 are not the bitmap ones it comes with. Maybe Random Houses can only uses vectors?

The House tool (and the Street tool, because that is dependent upon the House tool) uses filled and shaded polygons to construct each roof. The tool has limitations because of this, particularly where the style has details such as broad and detailed ridges, since all the House tool can do is a line of a fixed colour for these things.

It can also only do certain shapes of house. However, you can still do some quite complex things with House by combining 2 or more separate house entities as one building. This blog is about drawing cliffs, but I've linked it here because the city itself (with the exception of the open courtyard buildings) is made entirely of CD3 Bitmap B houses - and the FCW is available if you want to have a look and see how the more complicated shapes were made.

argel1200
  • Wow! That's an amazing looking map. I need to study the cliff faces, as I'm trying to do two levels of waterfalls in my current map (the one I posted with the solid buildign color issue) and mine could use a lot of work. Though with that said, might be easier to do in post.

Thank you! :)

There is a set of connecting cliff symbols I made more recently to save you a bit of work if you have this year's annual.

(I just thought I should say, before you spent all that time drawing them like they are drawn in the Orde map)

argel1200
  • Oh, I didn't realize that was yours too!! You're prolific!! I hope PF is treating you well!!

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

The house tool (and its close kin, the random street tool) add procedurally-created houses, requiring that the placed houses be vector-based. Some of the procedural house options (like certain edge patterns of roofs) are a little heavyweight and can result in slower redraw times than using bitmap symbols would. It would be nice to see a random street option using bitmap symbol sets that doesn't require strange gyrations of SYMFILL to work correctly.

argel1200

@argel1200 PF are the best company I've ever worked for.

And I'm 54.

Loreleiargel1200