Live Mapping - Thursday 19:00 CET - SS2 Dungeon with a twist

MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

For tomorrow's live stream, I will be looking at creating a dungeon with Symbol Set 2.

Click the video below to access the reminder button. The stream will be at Thursday, October 1st, 19:00 CET. Access the video below to get the time in your timezone.

Hope to see you all there.

https://youtu.be/r1NPf5pPisI

Loopysue[Deleted User]jmabbottRaikoWeathermanSwedenWyvern

Comments

• I'm looking forward to this, although I'll need to catch up rather than watching live today unfortunately.

• Awesome video. Some really great tips regardless of the 'twist'.

• Just got caught-up with this this evening, finally. Fascinating to watch!

I've had a similar problems occasionally with crashes when trying to do similar tasks to what happened in the video, and I know Sue mentioned in the chat she'd found the same. Bug of some kind? I know that trying to redo the same task and have it crash identically and repeatedly at the same point is a recurrent element as well, almost as if the system's done it once and gets stuck in its own loop.

I do have one question from the video, watching the rotate command being executed, though it's something that's irritated me for a long time. Why does CC3+ do angles backwards? So you tell it to rotate something 90°, and it actually moves -90° (= anticlockwise) instead. It's the same when adjusting features like the Global Sun. I'm really familiar and comfortable using the standard azimuth system, so 000° or 360° is due north, 090° is due east, 270° due west, etc., but again, CC3+ inverts the angle. I know we had a discussion a long time back regarding the Nibirum graphic in the Community Atlas webpages about the default planetary rotation for the 3D globe option in FT also going the wrong way, so maybe this is just something about how the programs were designed?

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

No, CC3+ do it the correct way. Check out the standard polar coordinate system. Remember that CC3+ do operate on a coordinate system, not a compass.

You may wish to talk to the inventors of those two concepts why they couldn't agree on the direction.

• Interesting. I suspect the differences stem from the polar coordinate system being a purely mathematical tool and the horizontal coordinate system being based on practical realities. I can understand that for programming, the mathematical version would likely have major advantages, though it's completely counterintuitive for anyone familiar with maps and map-making modernly.

• DaltonSpenceDaltonSpence Mapmaker
    edited October 2020

I think the answer to this might be that CAD programs were not originally designed to make maps. They were created to make plans and blueprints. As a result when Campaign Cartographer was built around the FastCad engine many of the common map making conventions were altered or inverted. You just have to get used to how it works. Fortunately for me when I first started using the program I hadn't had much experience other graphics programs or map making in general so I didn't have much to unlearn. In fact now I frequently find the interface of raster graphics programs a bit unnatural. Oh well, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

I can see where you come from. For me, the polar coordinate system is in my blood, and the most natural thing in the world when I do any kind of drawing on a computer, maps or not. I am more focused on the orientation of things on my screen. Additionally, when you draw a map, it doesn't necessary have to be with north up, so I find a "neutral" coordinate system better.

I guess the main reason it is used in this way is that CC3+ is at it's core a CAD application