Really Weird problem with Combine Paths

No idea what I did to cause this.

But I used the "Path" tool to trace a map image on a lower layer (several actually) to make one big land mass. I used combine path to combine the different chunks until I had one path, connected to itself. I then did "Path to Poly", fine, then went to set the fill properties...and it set the fill of the path line itself, not the inside. That's weird.

Thinking I had a missing link or something, I tried to use a path to just make a poly of a chunk of the map. But this I think may be the cause of the problem. So, I went and selected a large, chunk, exploded it, deleted a line chunk at either end, then combined the remaining line chunks into a path with "Line to Path". If I then clicked on the path with, say delete, it highlights the whole path and says one entity selected.

But then, if I draw a new Path with the path tool, and try to combine that bath with the path that was part of my huge path but excised out using "Combine paths" - it creates 2 joining segments, one from the front and one from the end of my dummy path I just drew, but they connect to the front and end of the first line segment of the complex path. F/S don't fix the problem, just move around the incorrect lines.

Any advice on how to clean this up would be appreciated. Smaller little islands I traced and filled worked just fine, so it must have been something I screwed up when combining all my path segments before.

Comments