Fix Grid and Snap?

New -> Dungeons -> Decide settings myself -> Annual Deluxe Battle Maps

260 x 170; Grass Green 4; Grdid Overlay -> Square -> Grid Spacing 5

My Snap points and my Grid are off even though both are set to 5' grid and 5 snap pts. How can I fix this?

Best Answer

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited September 2020 Accepted Answer

This is an effect of how the template is set up, the lower left corner of the map border is not on the snap grid.

I have no idea why the template was set up that way, but it looks a bit weird.

Anyhow, to work around this, don't place the grid during the new map process. Instead use Draw -> Hex or Square overlay after starting the map, and instead of clicking OK in the dialog, click select points instead. This lets you put the grid points instead of the grid using the map border as reference, and if you have snap on when doing this, it will align perfectly with the snap grid.

(You can also use the set snap grid option in the dialog which will then fix the snap grid, but the existing snap grid is lined up with the background, so it is better to use it.)

argel1200LoopysueRaiko

Answers

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited September 2020 Accepted Answer

This is an effect of how the template is set up, the lower left corner of the map border is not on the snap grid.

I have no idea why the template was set up that way, but it looks a bit weird.

Anyhow, to work around this, don't place the grid during the new map process. Instead use Draw -> Hex or Square overlay after starting the map, and instead of clicking OK in the dialog, click select points instead. This lets you put the grid points instead of the grid using the map border as reference, and if you have snap on when doing this, it will align perfectly with the snap grid.

(You can also use the set snap grid option in the dialog which will then fix the snap grid, but the existing snap grid is lined up with the background, so it is better to use it.)

argel1200LoopysueRaiko
  • Thanks! Need to start thinking about doing things from the bottom left corner.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

I just think of the map as a graph. They usually start from the bottom left corner at 0,0 ;)

• Yeah, but when inserting an image it's more common to use the top left in the non-CAD world. And VTT's like Roll20 always start in the top left. You're right of course, but it's another example of how out of step the CAD approach is from more common workflows out there and how much that learning curve is holding the product back. :( Hope the November Annual is going well!!

I just shrug, tilt my head from side to side, and use whatever origin I've been given. I've over 20 different graphics apps, and not two of them are the same. It's a right old muddle in my head - all those different lists of shortcut keys and quirky things to remember. Currently working in Sketchup to model the tropical structures, and I keep trying to right click to reflect things before pasting them :P

It's going well, though. Thanks :)

• I know what you mean! Scrolling has been killing me lately. Going from CC to Photoshop to Roll20. Especially CC and Roll20, where the middle-button is used but in opposite ways! Argh!!!! Most fo the 3D apps have different camera controls, so going from Unity to DAZ Studio is painful (I'm sure Blender would be if I used it more). Once of these days I'll get around to getting Vue installed on my new system and get to feel even more user-interface pain. :/

Its when you get to cackling hysterically at the mess you're in trying to spin a Blender terrain the same way you would a Gaea terrain that you know it's time to take a break.

argel1200JimP
  • Huh? I struggle with 2d graphics programs, it took me ages to get my head around Ps, taking awhile with CC3+, I'll leave 3d modelling to the masochists among you...

argel1200
    edited September 2020

They're not so bad. You've just got to remember which one you are in when you get absorbed by what you are doing. Everything being black and charcoal is not the slightest bit helpful, and the lack of a standardised use for each of the mouse buttons is the worst.

I use 3D graphics apps to make sure I've got the isometric view right on new isometric symbols, but I would probably use them anyway now that I know how. Perhaps, though... not in a rapid fire Blender-Sketchup-Blender-GIMP-Affinity Photo-CC3 workflow :P

• I really can't say -- I've been dabbling in computer graphics since the Commodore 64 days, then the Amiga. So I'm sure I take a lot for granted these days. I mainly play around in DAZ Studio and now CC and then Photoshop for postwork. You can see some of my artwork at deviantArt if you're interested: https://www.deviantart.com/argel1200

Yes, I've seen your page before.

Very impressive :)

I'm not so much into animation, having set a PC on fire one night a few years back when something went wrong on an 18 hour render. A person has to sleep eventually! That was the one I threw out of the window before it set the rest of the flat on fire.

I keep a fire extinguisher in the room these days ;)

argel1200
  • I used to have a similar problem with keyboards. Two part time jobs and my computer at home. Seven different keyboard layouts I used over a period of a week. Ampex orange monitor and keyboard, CRAY YMP-2 keyboard, 4 different ms-dos '104 key standard layout' but they didn't match, a Sun 4 work station, and an Amiga A1000 computer.

argel1200