Hex map sizing

Hi folks,

If I'm making a hex map to print at 33"W x 22"H (so it prints on either A1 or D size paper) using horizontal hexes at 5 units (height) per hex, my drawing size needs to be 189.75 (33x5.75 [5*1.15]) x 110 (22x5), correct?

Best Answer

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited September 2020 Accepted Answer

As far as I can work out by measuring an actual CC3 generated hex, that would seem to be the case.

A more accurate multiplier for the first part of your calculation is 1.15469, but that kind of size difference isn't going to be very noticeable, since it only adjusts your horizontal distance to 190.52385, instead of 189.75. units (whatever those units are). More noticeable if you are working in inches not cm. But since inches are unlikely I am guessing cm.

Answers

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited September 2020 Accepted Answer

As far as I can work out by measuring an actual CC3 generated hex, that would seem to be the case.

A more accurate multiplier for the first part of your calculation is 1.15469, but that kind of size difference isn't going to be very noticeable, since it only adjusts your horizontal distance to 190.52385, instead of 189.75. units (whatever those units are). More noticeable if you are working in inches not cm. But since inches are unlikely I am guessing cm.

• Thanks Sue,

Units are drawing units in CC3+, whether that be feet or metres for city/battle maps or miles and kilometres for overland maps.

The reason I'm asking is because when I've done commissions, invariably there are encounters in the adventure (even in the one I wrote) that don't have a map - the GM has to either draw or source one from somewhere. So, I'm thinking of doing ALL of my personal gaming stuff, including generic battle maps (like the Pathfinder flip maps), with Hex grids to avoid having to worry about calculating diagonal movement on a standard square grid.

• DaltonSpenceDaltonSpence Mapmaker
    edited September 2020

On a shelf in my bedroom there is a folded sheet of shiny paper. On one side is printed a grid of 1 inch hexes; on the other, a grid of 1 inch squares. At the bottom of each side is a line of small print: "Copyright © 2001, Steve Jackson Games Incorporated. All rights reserved." I remember purchasing it at a local game shop (long gone) in a plastic bag labeled "The Great Salt Flats". I wonder if there will ever be a second edition. ?

jmabbott[Deleted User]