Which Tools can Trace?

I'm in the process of drawing a campaign map, and have drawn the coast with the "Default Landmass" tool. I decided to draw contours with the "Smooth Poly" tool, but found I couldn't Trace with it (I need to trace the coastline where there are cliffs). There was no "T" command.

I know that Smooth Poly will not trace a fractal coastline anyway, so I switched to Fractal Poly - but found that would not Trace either! There was still no "T" command.

I ended up using the "Default Landmass" tool again to draw the contour, and Trace the part of the coastline that was cliffs - and then used CHange Properties to alter the resulting figure to match the other contours.

I was just disconcerted to find that standard tools will not allow the Trace command - and cannot understand why "Default Landmass" will, but "Fractal Poly" won't. Surely they are both Fractal Polys?

While I have a workable solution to my problem, can anyone confirm which standard Tools will allow me to Trace other objects, or give me a workaround to allow it, please?

Octorilla

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited September 2020

None of the basic tools from the right toolbars can trace. That is an advanced feature only available on the various draw tools (hit All Map Drawing Tools to list the tools for the current style).

If you need something not there, you can always make your own tool by duplicating an existing one and setting the shape (and other properties) to what you need.

Octorilla