CC3+ Art Asset Ownership

I'm not good at reading copywrite agreements so I was hoping someone here would be kind enough to answer a question of mine.

I know when i purchased CC3+ i also have a commercial license. I am curious if that license also allows me to use the art assets outside of CC3+. I use two main mapping programs.....CC3+ for what i call my "high quality/advanced maps" and I use a simplier program for lower quality maps for smaller projects.

Can i use art assets from CC3+ that i purchased with a non-CC3+ mapping program?

Thank you in advance,

Tony

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Yes, you can freely use them in other programs.

Keep in mind that you can't legally distribute the symbols however, only finished maps with them in it, so make sure any other programs don't embed the artwork itself in the map, you can't distribute files where someone would be able to extract the symbols from them again.

DmDomination
  • No worries there. I appreciate the quick reply.

stay safe and happy mapping to you!!

• 1 month later
  • How could you test the exported map (a .png or .jpg file) to see if they symbols are not embedded in it?

A common image file (.jpg, .bmp, .png, .gif) isn't a problem, you don't need to worry about embedding in those. Other formats, like the native formats of popular image editing software may or may not be embedding originals depending on the software.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Would GIMP, PS or Affinity files where the layers are all merged down anyway be ok?

(just asking out of curiosity)

That's more a question about how you use the files as the file format itself. None of those files are merged by default, they keep their layers, so if a layer contains a single symbol (or multiple symbols but spaced out from each other), it is easily extractable from the file, but if the layer contains multiple overlapping symbols, then they aren't isolatable anymore.

Of course, if you merge all layers/flatten the file, then it isn't an issue, but that isn't commonly down with the file in those format, you only provide a flattened export when exporting to a common image format.

LoopysueFarsightX3