Symbol problems

Hello all,

I am hoping somebody can help me out with this. I was making a map, and switched to the SS1 fantasy catalog for a while, now I want to switch back to the CC3 default catalog, but for some reason the catalog is showing the CC3 symbols but still placing the SS1 fantasy symbols. Suggestions?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Does it revert back to the CC3 default if you save, close and reopen CC3?

• Sorry I should clarify that a bit. If I start a new map it does revert to the CC3 catalog. But When I paste in the section of the map that I am working on it starts using the SS1 symbols again. So there is obviously something I have done in my map to cause this, but I am at a loss as to what. I have tried every setting, and definition I can find. I am getting very frustrated.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

This is due to how symbols in CC3+ work.

When you place a new symbol in your map, the symbol definition for that symbol is stored in the map, and every copy you place of the symbol reference that definition. However, the identifier for each definition is the name of the symbols. So, what is happening here is that you already have a definition in your map for Pine Trees 1, which you got when inserting the SS1 trees. Now, when placing the same named symbol from another style, CC3+ just sees that this definition already exists in the map, and uses that one (There can't be two definitions with the same name, so if it had copied it anew, it would have overwritten the old one, replacing all existing symbols in the map instead)

To work around this, you can rename the SS1 definition in the Symbol manager (Symbols menu), or just delete it outright if you don't have any trees from the SS1 style placed. Deleting a definition with symbols existing in the map will delete all references from the map.

LoopysueMaidhc O CasainRaikopdj
  • Monsen,

Thanks, renaming the symbols worked. I do have a question though; why doesn't this happen with every symbol? I had a slew of symbols from different catalogs on the map and I didn't have this problem with any of them except the ones from the vegetation catalog.

Again, thank you for the help.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

It does happen with every symbol, but only as long as the name is identical. Since the different styles doesn't all have the exact same selection of symbols, you won't always find the same names either. And some styles have a prefix, for example most annuals have the annual issue number as a prefix in the symbol name, making them different.