Fanche Pass Campsite - Battlemap

GlitchGlitch Surveyor
edited September 2020 in Show and Tell

My first battlemap. Explored sheets and effects. Still struggling with scale and symbol placement. Despite trying to calc the size in advance, I messed up and ran out of room - so horses are hobbled in an area off map. Suggestions are always appreciated!

MonsenLoopysue[Deleted User]Lillhans

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Looks nice. Regarding scale, what is the size of those hexes of yours?

• Grid scale is set at 5 ft. Eyeballed sizing of symbols.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited September 2020

It's looking good :)

I think the scale might be slightly off - unless my understanding of hexes is wrong. When you say they are 5 ft, does that mean 5ft across?

If that's right, then those camp beds are about 12 feet long. the wagons may also be a bit on the large side, but the beds are the things that look really too large. A regular bed in a house is only about 6 ft long, so a bed roll will be only just over one hex.

Instead of messing around trying to redraw the map to match the hexes, you could delete that grid and draw a new one.

• Thanks! Great opportunity to play with re-scale symbols.

LoopysueMonsenRaiko[Deleted User]
  • DaltonSpenceDaltonSpence Mapmaker
    edited September 2020

Looks very nice. I have a few questions:

1. How did the wagons leave the road without leaving tracks?
    2. Where are the horses and/or oxen that pulled the wagons?
    3. Why are the sleeping bags/pallets so scattered? Shouldn't they be grouped together, perhaps near a fire? Or maybe in the wagons, off the ground? (Most people usually don't sleep outside if they can avoid it.)
    4. Why is the camp so spread out and orderly? Even a permanent campsite has some disorder to it. And staying close together makes the camp easier to protect. (Settlers "circle the wagons" for a reason.)
    5. Where is the latrine??
  • 5 months later
  • GlitchGlitch Surveyor

Never posted the final image. Thanks all for the input.

LoopysueMonsenJimP[Deleted User]DaltonSpenceAutumn GettyCalibre