misbehaving ZEXT - button and command line

I am going to attach a .fcw file to this post but I'll explain what's not working so you can try to work out what corruption has crept into the map because I haven't got a clue.

I save sequentially so it's "FileName 1", "FileName 2", "FileName 3", and so on making it possible to step back if I've really messed something up.

The problem is that ZEXT doesn't work on the attached file either command line or button. This began intermittently at 333 grid ASDUK 7.FCW but began to be a real nuisance at 333 grid ASDUK 10.FCW . Instead of zooming to the extent of the map it zooms in to one pixel and neither the zoom in or out will reveal the map. I can get some of the map by clicking the button to the right of Refresh button, but then I have to zoom out and use the scroll bars to scroll up/down and left/right to get the entire map.

I've checked a random selection of completed maps and they behave as expected.

I'd love to hear what you think.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited September 2020

This is due to a corrupted entity in the drawing. There is an ellipse with a negative area there. Just delete it and the drawing should be fine.

To delete it, use Erase

When asked for a selection, then type in #104753 on the command line and hit enter. The command line should say that 1 entity is selected. Do it.

The #-character here is to tell CC3+ that you want to select by entity tag number, and the number itself is the tag of the corrupted entity, as shown by list.

To find this misbehaving entity, I went through the sheets 1 by 1 to see when the zoom failed. That would be the sheet the entity was on, walls hubs in this case. Then, I just started deleting entities from that sheet until the zoom stopped failing. In this case, it still failed even after deleting all the entities on the sheet, so I did a List on (A)ll, and that revealed the entitiy.

Note that to recover from a corrupted zoom like this, as long as you have any text in your map, right clicking any of the zoom buttons, and picking To All Text, and then picking one of the text entries in the box will get you back to a normal zoom level where the zoom out/in buttons work again. In the case of a corrupted entity like here, the zoom extents button won't be working untill the entity is found and dealt with though.

HelenAARaikoLoopysuepdj
  • Thanks Remy. I'll foll0w your wonderfully clear instructions after lunch. I wouldn't have known where to start looking or what to look for.