Unable to add/edit sheet effects - Mac w/ Crossover

I’m not sure when it stopped working, but recently I cannot add or edit sheet effects. When I try to add an effect, it brings up the list of effects, but when I select one I don’t get the dialog to customize the effect and it doesn’t appear in the list of effects. When I select an existing effect (from the template) and try to edit it, nothing happens.

I am running OS X 10.14 with CrossOver in a Windows 7 64k bottle.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

This might be cause by missing Visual C++ redistributables.

Try installing the latest version for 2015,2017,2019 into your bottle. You can grab them from the Microsoft download page, but it is possible that CrossOver also have some built in method for doing this, I am not to familiar with it.

• suntzusuntzu Betatester Traveler

i run the same configuration and have no issues with the sheet effects so perhaps you could post an offending fcw file

• 9 days later
  • QuantumSinQuantumSin Newcomer
    edited September 2020

I installed the VC redistributables into a clean Crossover bottle (Windows 10 64-bit) and reinstalled CC3+. I added a sheet to the default splash screen map that pops up, and then tried to add a sheet effect. When I select the effect I want to add, instead of popping up the dialog for the effect, it just closes the list of effects. It does this consistently on every map I have tried. I am really at a loss. Attaching an FCW file for @suntzu to look at.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

I think you may need to contact Tech Support, if you haven't already.

edited September 2020

i have no problem with the sheet effects from your file , just humour me and list what you have in your bottle install , click on the "i" next to the bottle name and lets see if you have anything missing

oh and your original post said you had cc3+ running on a win7 64bit , you now saying your on a win10 64bit bottle not that i would have thought that would have made any difference

Rob

• I tried creating a new bottle to see if that would solve it. The redistributables Remy linked specified they were for Windows 8 and later, so I went for a Windows 10 bottle.

The Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable is the (x86) - 14.23.27820.

Your missing .net stuff , install version 2 and upgrade to version 4.6.2 , use the button at the bottom of crossover to install the windows .net software

If that doesn’t fix it try creating a new win 7 64bit and just install the base cc3+ program , the setup file should call the c++ 2017 and install that , let the install finish an if asked to open a PDF say no and finish the install process first , also you need to use the crossover unlisted profile for all profantasy products

you also need to run cc3+ after every install / setup add on as crossover can buffer and may not complete the installers

• So I tried the fresh install. I created a Windows 7 64-bit bottle and installed the .net 4.6.2 and the Visuall C++ 2015-2019 redistributables. Then I installed CC3+. I ran CC3+, created a new Mike Schley overland map, drew a default landmass, activated sheet effects, then tried to edit one of the glow effects on the Land sheet. It worked!

Now for the bad news. I installed the CC3PlusUpdate 25.exe. When I started CC3+ and opened my test map (and turned on sheet effects), I get the same problem I had before...no effects dialogs when adding or editing effects. Something about that update seems to be the issue.

edited September 2020

ok , have you tried downloading and installing the latest cc3+ setup , i think this includes the #25 update , do you get the same results ?

i have just tested the main download and everything is fine on my machine , by the way .net is used for some of the older annuals and the c++ distributable are installed automatically with the main cc3+ setup program so this is what you should have

• It is working! I hadn't realized there was a new CC3+ installer that directly installed update 25. I had been using files I downloaded a while ago each time I installed it. When I tried it with the new installer, everything worked. Thank you, @suntzu and @Monsen, for all your help. I love CC3 and have used it for years. So glad it is working again.