About to pull the credit card out

I play role-playing games. I am the game master most of the time. I like creating a worlds, story and plot. My one big weakness is map making. I can't draw to save my life. There have been times I have contemplated commissioning someone to do maps for me,..that would get pretty pricey. So I started to do some research and it seems Campaign Cartographer is the tool I've been looking for. So tonight I will be pulling out the old credit card and buying The World Builder Bundle.

Hopefully soon I will be posting my maps for others to critique. But for now I just want to say hi to the forum.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Welcome to the forums.

You'll be glad you chose Campaign Cartographer. Like you, I can't draw to save my life either, but with CC, I am able to actually create lots of quite decent stuff.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited April 2008
    Be sure and do the map making tutorials in the guides. I have turned out over 1,600 maps in the past 8 years.

Oh, and I'm not a person who can draw either.
  • DkarrDkarr Traveler
    Posted By: JimPBe sure and do the map making tutorials in the guides.
    I absolutely concur. The best way to get CC to do what you want is to understand how CC does the things it does... LOL

The tutorials are indispensable to getting that understanding.

My initial experience with CC2 went something like this. "Gee, I want to create maps like the ones I see on that software box (CC2), I guess I'll buy it and try it." Plunk down the credit card and get the software (CC2 and DD2). Go home install it, start to attempt to draw. Can't get anything to work as I want. Put down the software in frustration. Consider getting a refund. Take a two day break. Discover the manual (yeah, I'm a genius). Read over the tutorials. Attempt to draw again. Frustration ensues. Actually do the tutorials one at a time and in order (yeah, slow learner). Finally a drawing I like and no hair pulling....

I'm being a little facetious in my recounting of that story but let me tell you the tutorials turned what was a horrible experience into a wonderful one. So yeah, I swear by those tutorials.
  • LatharionLatharion Traveler
    edited April 2008
    Another thing I have to suggest is absolutely do NOT be afraid to ask questions either here on the forums or in the yahoo mailing list (cc2-l). We cartographers are a very helpful and friendly bunch and if you do not have a CAD background, CC3 can be a bit daunting. The best news is that making great maps with CC3 doesn't take artistic talent. It takes simply takes an attention to detail, and a willingness to think outside the photoshop box. CC3 has some of the best tools to get a great map down on virtual paper very quickly, so enjoy, and please post some pics of your work!

Also, start with CC3 (the main program) and then work your way out (through DD3, CD-pro, etc...) until you have the maps you want. The CC3 add-ons (like DD3) build on the skills learned from CC3.