Remy Monsen

MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
edited September 2020 in Introductions

Remy Monsen here, hailing from the cold shores of the Icy North. Well, something like that anyway, depending on your own location.

Born back in 1976, I am currently 44 years old (and since I am going to forget to update this, I leave it to you to calculate the new value based on my birth year as time goes on). Currently (and always has been) living in the city of Bergen on the west coast of Norway.

I am mostly an IT-guy, and having been that since my young days. I got my first computer when I was about 8, a Commodore 64, and I was immediately in love with what you could do with a computer once you learned how to program on it. Most of my work and studies through the years have been IT-related. Among other things, I was an officer in the Royal Norwegian Navy for 7 years, managing and supporting IT systems. And now I am an Assistant Professor at Western Norway University of Applied Sciences, teaching stuff like networking and software development.

I first got interested in the ProFantasy products during the 90's when looking at the ads in Dragon magazine, I was so mesmerized over how good that looked compared to my hand drawn attempts (drawing is NOT my strong suit), and I needed maps for my RPG campaign which I DM'ed. Well, they where too expensive for a penniless high-schooler back then, and my computer was an Amiga 500, while the ProFantasy stuff required a PC, so it wasn't really available for me back then. I do remember getting more and more enticed by it as the ads started to expand, and then showed up in color.
It wasn't until I started my career as a naval officer that I actually got my first computer and the money to buy software. I have to admit, it took me a while to get to properly know CC2. My main use cases was dungeons back then. I was DM'ing in the Forgotten Realms game world, and I had all the overland maps I needed provided by the campaign setting itself. But as many others, I had a bit of an issue getting CC2 to do what I needed, so I often fell back to simpler tile-based mappers, which allowed me to create a decent map in a few minutes. I did get tired of these simple mappers though, they never was able to make what I really wanted. so I kept coming back to CC2 and experiment with it. But it wasn't until the day I sat down and more or less read Allyn's excellent Tome of Ultimate Mapping from cover to cover, working through every single tutorial in there that I really got CC2. After that, I never looked back. Today, I am the maintainer of the Tome, and I hope everyone who owns it finds it as useful as I found it back then. There are still traces of Allyn's original tome in there, but I have rewritten most of it, to ensure it is a relevant resource to modern Campaign Cartographer 3+. Lots of the old tricks from the CC2 days are no longer need. For example, back then, we didn't have effects, so we had to make outlines on the text manually. Back then, that was a highly useful technique for making text readable, today it is only used for very special cases.

I am the maintainer of the Community Atlas Project, a collaborative project where we all build a world together. I encourage everyone to come along and help with the project by submitting maps, you don't have to be a pro. You can read more about the project here.

I also have my own YouTube channel where I post CC3+ tutorials, as well as write blog entries for the ProFantasy Blog.

As for my own mapmaking, most of my maps are made for use in my own campaign. I am a Dungeon Master, and after getting tired with the published worlds out there, I decided it would be much more fun to make my own, so I made the World of Virana, where I run my players through their adventures. I have a wiki for the world, but since my games are face-to-face, I am not good at updating it to often. You'll find a subset of my maps there. I also try to put my maps into the community atlas at the same time if I can find a good spot for them, nothing better than getting the atlas expanded at the same time when I am making a map anyways.

View from my house and view of my city (city pic does not cover the area where I live, I live a bit outside the main city)

LoopysueWyvernBarliman[Deleted User]WeathermanSwedenJoeyD473RaikoWinterblightDaltonSpence

Comments