Non-latin Fonts

What font should I use to render greek (or other not-latin) characters on my map?

Best Answers

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited August 2020 Accepted Answer

If you use a symbol font where regular characters have been replaced instead of using the appropriate unicode it should work. You can try the default Windows Symbol font for example.

Note that this means you cannot really see what you are writing in the text input box, but if you combine with the Windows Character Map program, you can find the correct letters.

LoopysueDaltonSpence
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    Accepted Answer

CC3+ does not support Unicode entry or display. You will need to use a symbol font.

DaltonSpence

Answers

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited August 2020

You can use any font you have available on your machine. You just need to select it in the Text Specs dialog, or click the More Fonts button at the bottom of the dialog to fetch one from elsewhere on your machine

That probably wasn't exactly the answer you were looking for, but I'm not an expert on different types of font. I can only trust that you will have an idea of what you have on your machine that could be useful if only you could get it into CC3 - which is why I showed you how to get it into CC3 ;)

• There are several 'looking for a font' discussions around here.

You might look here: https://www.ffonts.net/

• DaltonSpenceDaltonSpence Mapmaker
    edited August 2020

The problem seems to be that the text box will only accept ASCII characters and when I try to paste Unicode ones into it they are automatically translated to ASCII when I place them. I may need to use a symbol set instead of a font for this.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited August 2020 Accepted Answer

If you use a symbol font where regular characters have been replaced instead of using the appropriate unicode it should work. You can try the default Windows Symbol font for example.

Note that this means you cannot really see what you are writing in the text input box, but if you combine with the Windows Character Map program, you can find the correct letters.

LoopysueDaltonSpence
  • You have to load fonts into Windows, then into CC3Plus.

Then you can select them by clicking on the white square with an A in it on the right side. There is also a blue bar at the top.

Click on 'more fonts' and scroll down to it.

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    Accepted Answer

CC3+ does not support Unicode entry or display. You will need to use a symbol font.

DaltonSpence