Quick Moving a group picks up an entity on a frozen layer

Hi all,

I have a question regarding Quick Move picking up an entity on a frozen layer ....

I am creating a simple/quick battlemap floorplan using boxes for rooms and lines for corridors (essentially a dungeon schematic). A player's position is tracked by moving a colored disk. The disk is a group entity (solid circle, hollow outline, a bit of text). The disk uses a layer named PCs.

I draw a line for a corridor and use a different layer (e.g. WALLS or FLOOR). I freeze this layer.

With a player disk positioned on the line, I try to Quick Move the disk. If I click on a disk edge inside the line, I usually move the line, not the disk. See attached example.

I've confirmed the line on the frozen layer cannot be edited but I thought that would also mean that the line could not be moved.

Should a line on a frozen layer be movable?

Is there a better way to ensure the line is not movable?

Thanks

Comments

• No I don't think so.

But what you describe is more like a VTT than cc3plus.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

I think Remy would probably be the font of all wisdom on this, Crazyant, but I also think he will be resting right now, so we might need to give him a bit of time to recover from setting up this new forum last night ;)

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

I am pretty sure this is a bug. I'm reporting it to the relevant authorities.

Loopysue
  • CrazyantCrazyant Newcomer
    edited August 2020

Thanks for the response and followup Monsen.

I figured out a solution that will work for me in the short-term. In case another low-time user has similar need, here it is ....

1. Create a dungeon layout.
    2. Use the Windows Snipping tool or equivalent to capture and save an image (.png) of the layout.
    3. Open a new map and use Draw -> Insert File to put the image into a sheet early in the sheet list (e.g. BACKGROUND).
    4. Scale the image as needed.
    5. Create the player disks on another sheet, further down the sheet list.

The player disks can now be moved around, over the image, without problems.