Weird behaviour running on new Mac w/- OS Catalina via CrossOver

Hi,

Anyone experiencing weird stuff running CC3+ on new Macs via CrossOver?

Sometimes tracing works properly, though the mouse becomes overly sensitive and slow (using a standard HP mouse as the Apple Magic Mouse is way too sensitive), othert imes it doesn't trace entities properly, i.e. I select the entity to trace, select the start point and then as I'm tracing it doesn't follow the entity?

I'm labeling an overland map and sometimes I can select text and other times I can't...I'm guessing one thing I've done wrong is not make the text sheet and layer the actives ones prior to placing the text but still I should be able to select the text to change its properties...none of the layers are frozen.

This is really annoying and frustrating the hell out of me. I've persevered because I'm really liking CC3+ and its add-ons but I need it to work well for commission work and if it takes me 3-4 times longer to draw a map due to compatibility issues than it should, well that just isn't helpful at all...

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I don't know whether this behaviour is really to do with you running CC3 on a Mac, but I might be wrong.

The reason I say that is because you describe things that I've seen when running CC3 on Win 10. Usually the slowdown is caused by there being a huge number of nodes in the entity being traced, and the jumps where the tracing tool doesn't follow the line is related to the same problem - too many nodes, but also some of them being far too close together.

The usual culprit is almost invariably an overly detailed landmass exported from FT3, though there have been the odd occasions where someone has taken hours and hours to draw a landmass so detailed by hand that the same thing happens there.

If you use the SIMPLIFY keyboard command to get rid of excessive and unnecessary nodes (ie, those which are practically on top of one another and make no noticeable difference to the outline), you might get better results when using the trace option of a drawing tool.

There is one other reason a trace might miss bits of the entity being traced, and that is the nature of the trace entity. If the trace entity is a smooth polygon the drawing tool will jump between the nodes on the curvy outline with straight lines and stands very little chance of replicating the curvy shape. The solution there is to temporarily convert the entity to be traced to a straight polygon, do the tracing, and then convert both the traced entity and the new tracing of it back to curves. Those conversions are available in the right click menu of the Fractalise tool.
  • Sue, you're a 3825ing genius! I ran the SIMPLIFY command on my landmass, trace now works like a charm. The other entities I was attempting to trace are indeed smooth polygons, so I feel sure this is the issue. I've changed my border tool from a straight polygon (the default), to a smooth polygon and now, based on the above, it is a fractal polygon and tracing is behaving as it should! Thank you so much, you have saved my sanity!
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    You're welcome, Jim :)