Problems Exporting Maps in JPG

So I am having trouble exporting maps and having them come out with good resolutions.

I am trying to save out a jpg of a dungeon map that is 500 x 400 is map size.

I have consistently had trouble so I did try and save it out with hi-settings.

I tried the jog options as 4000x3200, 300 resolution.
Anti-Aliasing 100%, Progressive JPG 75%.

It took 62 passes through to compress, ended up with a file that was 14 mb, and honestly super crappy quality.
I have a pile of skulls that is so pixelated that you can't even tell what they are, same with the statue symbols.

What am i doing wrong that the save export is NO where near the quality of the map file I am working with to create the map.

Suggestions?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited August 2020
    Posted By: FreewolfWhat am i doing wrong that the save export is NO where near the quality of the map file I am working with to create the map.
    Let me just address this one first. The quality of the symbols you work with in DD3 are 100 pixels per foot. So to get the same resolution as you have in CC3+ for a 500 by 400 foot map, you would actually need an export resolution of 50000 x 40000, which is far beyond what is possible. This doesn't mean that you can't get a good export, but getting the same resolution as inside CC3+ for a large dungeon map on export isn't really possible. Maps that are exported at at floorplan-level quality for use as battlemaps are usually smaller maps, such as segments of your map (a single room for example). Even if you could export that 50000 by 40000 map, you would have a map several gigabytes in size.

Posted By: FreewolfAnti-Aliasing 100%
    Just don't. Setting a high anti-aliasing means that CC3+ needs to generate a much higher resolution map than you asked for and then scale it down to be able to generate an anti-aliased map at the size you asked for. You'll see a value called work size in the export dialog. That is the size CC3+ actually exports in. Try setting Antialias to 0% instead, and then double the export resolution to 8000 by 6400 instead. That should give you a much better result (Although, keep in mind what I said above, 8000x6400 is still not enough to get the same detail level as you can see inside CC3+)