2007 Annual Sarah Wroot

I have been going back and doing maps from the annuals that I never got around to trying. I was actually shocked and very pleased with the end result of this one.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen 🖼️ 12 images Mapmaker Administrator
    Looks great. That style is so simple, but still so pretty. I really enjoy what you have made here.
  • WVFaeryWomanWVFaeryWoman Traveler
    edited August 3
    Thanks! By nature, I am a "clutter it up" mapper. This style sort of forced me restrain myself and stay simple, and I was stunned by how pretty it turned out. The basic map is pretty close to the one provided in the tutorial, and I want to make sure I don't claim complete credit for the map.
  • I love this!! This is another one of those annuals i've never gotten around to using, either. I guess, that's a great reason why Ralf is having me do the All the Annuals series...reminding everyone of the great styles that are in the whole pack and not just the one or two that got us to buy them in the first place :) Really, really lovely job on this WVFaeryWoman. You've inspired me to use this style on my next map for personal use. Thanks for sharing!!
  • LoopysueLoopysue 🖼️ 9 images Mapmaker ProFantasy
    Looks a lot better than mine. I tried one and I think I got a bit carried away with the colours! LOL! :D
  • I am definitely an "over doer" on maps; however, I exercised a little self control on this one. I see a rogue tree or two in the north that needs to be taken out but otherwise I am happy with this map and am glad people like it and might be inspired to try the style.
  • I love this style - and have done 3 maps using it (2 in the Community Atlas). this is my first map - but what I really love about WVFaeryWoman's map is the subtlety of tone compared to mine. The reason I am posting mine (mad about 6 years ago) is to show the importance of subtlety in map making in certain styles like this one - the best Sarah Wroot map i have seen. Congrats on a really beautiful map, WVFaeryWoman. hope to see more of your work here.
  • edited August 4
    I love this style - and have done 3 maps using it (2 in the Community Atlas). This is my first map in this style - but what I really love about WVFaeryWoman's map is the subtlety of tone compared to mine. The reason I am posting mine (made about 6 years ago) is to show the importance of subtlety in map making in certain styles like this one - the best Sarah Wroot map I have seen. Congrats on a really beautiful map, WVFaeryWoman. Hope to see more of your work here.
  • WyvernWyvern Traveler
    It's interesting that this and the first CA issue (Mercator style) also from 2007, both relied heavily on multiple-sheet symbols and the use of subtle colouring to achieve their unique appearances in overland maps. The techniques to get the best from both are equally similar - so fewer, less clustered symbols works well overall. The soft-touch, "airbrush", colours are just so effective here. Fine map WVFaeryWoman!
  • edited August 4
    It reminds me a bit of LadieStorm's technique she developed
  • Really pretty. :)