Mountain advice

I have started work on a new continental map. I think the mountains are bit bigger than they need to be. Looking for advice. Please ignore the rivers; those are from FT3 and need to be redrawn.

Sean

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    That's already a lovely map :)

Symbol scale is pretty much an individual preference. However, the most important thing is how it looks in it's final format. It all depends how large the final map (printed or otherwise) will be. For instance, if you were only ever going to show and use it at around 1000 px wide then these mountains are about right. If you were meaning to make a large wall poster of it then they would still be ok, but you might benefit at that scale by shrinking them a bit to make more space for everything else.
  • Thanks, Sue!

Eventually I do plan to print out and hang a version of the final map. I already have 2' x 3' continental map (from the One Day Worldbuilder) and 3' x 4' main play area map printed out and laminated, so I can draw ideas on them. Between tools like CC3+ and FedEx's poster and canvas printing, making maps is so much more fun now than it was in the 80s.

Definitely think the mountains need to thin up a bit. They cover the main mountainous areas, but seem overbearing.
  • I started reworking the highlands, but I think I might be going too small this time:

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited July 2020
    See how big the trees and the settlements are, and how big they turn out when you render it at the final size as a test.

I think I like them this size, but its entirely up to you in the end.

When you hit the right scale for the symbols make sure that you make a note of what it is and change the default symbol scale in the Drawing Properties/Drawing Presets dialog.