labels and vanishing pointer

I'm wanting to try numbering places on a CC3 overland map but as soon as my pointer touches the drawing area it disappears only to reappear when it touches a side of the button line or the command line. I've tried on many test maps, and its the same thing on every one.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited July 2020
    I assume this is using the number labels feature?

Look at the command line. It wants you to provide it with a starting number before you can start.
    Many commands that require information will hide the mouse pointer in the drawing area (unless the information can also be provided with the mouse), it is a good indication that CC3+ want you to focus on something else, the command line.
  • It is the number labels feature, Monsen. I'd read the UM and tried to follow the instructions - yours are far clearer !

What type of info does the command line ask for? I didn't make much sense of that bit of the UM.
    After starting the command, the command line should read
    Number [1]:
    (The number in square brackets may vary)
    What it is waiting for here is for you to simply input the number you wish to start with, and hit enter, then you should get back your cursor with the number you picked attached and you can start placing it in the map.

(The number in square brackets is the previous number used, you can just accept that by hitting enter instead of typing a number)
    You can also include letters and symbols in the string you type in, but only the number portion of it will be incremented, so if you want a trailing punctuation mark, you can type it in as 1. and hit enter, and it will place the numbers 1., 2., 3. and so on
  • I've just tried numbering a dummy file, and then changing the file. I had expected the 'counter' to reset to 1 but it carried on from the first file. Why is that?
    edited July 2020
    I guess that is just the way the command was programmed. The counter isn't embedded in the map anyway, so when you load a new map, there isn't anywhere to pull the counter value from, so it just continues with what it currently have. The default starting number is just a suggestion anyway, just provide a value of 1 to start from scratch.