How to merge shapes?

Hello all. I am a new CC3+ user. I have read through the instruction manual and the Tome of Ultimate Mapping, but I am still confused on how to get this to work. I searched the forums and found the post here with a similar problem:
http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=9042

But this does not seem to work for me. I have tried to "Trim Inside" and I get the error message "Smooth paths cannot be extended in a trim."

I am using Dungeon Designer and trying to merge 2 room shapes to make a single shape and/or to trim the intersecting parts of the rooms. I have attached an image of an example. I have also tried the CONTOURSM command but it doesn't seem to work either. When i use that command, nothing changes, but the floor pattern disappears oddly. Any ideas? thanks.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Fortunately, both the points where you want everything to meet are spot on the snap grid - those little white dots there.

If you hide the floors sheet so that you don't accidentally cut your floors to bits, and then use the break tool you can break holes in the walls of both those shapes between the snap points where they intersect (make sure you have the snap grid turned on)

Once you have trimmed both shapes to touch perfectly at those two snap points, right click the fractalize button and pick line to path. Then select the entirety of both shapes and right click and Do It. Providing they are perfectly aligned (which they should be if you used the snap grid to break the shapes) they should unite into one object.

Then make your floors visible again and you should be ready to carry on.
  • edited July 2020
    Thanks for the suggestion Loopysue! That seems to be the way to go, but I am still encountering issues. I am able to hide the floor sheet and break the wall shapes. When I use the L2p command, it seems to work but then as soon as I move my mouse, zoom, or anything, the walls just disappear. I have attached pictures of what my walls look like after L2p. I am not certain why the walls disappear after the L2p command. I have tried redrawing/refreshing the image and the wall sheet is enabled and not hidden. Any ideas?
    How strange.

Would you like to share the fcw file so we can try and work out what's happening there?
  • sure thing. do you want me to share before i break the shapes? after break, but before L2P? or after L2p?
    If you can share your before and after files maybe we can work out what the problem is and also the solution :)

I have a theory that the circle isn't perfectly aligned with the grid after all, now that I've seen the angle at which they meet in your 'after' image, so a 'Trim to entity' might be more appropriate once the shapes have already been broken.

You could try that first if you like - try breaking both shapes, but only a small section somewhere in the middle of the part that needs to be removed, and then using Edit->Trims->Trim to entity on both of them - using each other as the entity to trim to in turn.
  • DaltonSpenceDaltonSpence Mapmaker
    edited July 2020
    Posted By: LoopysueYou could try that first if you like - try breaking both shapes, but only a small section somewhere in the middle of the part that needs to be removed, and then using Edit->Trims->Trim to entity on both of them - using each other as the entity to trim to in turn.
    Or use Trim to Intersect image (Edit->Trims->Trim to intersection) after you've broken the shapes, or break both shapes using the TRIMOE (Edit->Trims->Trim Outside) command. The Trims menu can also be seen by right clicking one of the following buttons:
      image image image image image
  • Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will try both of those today and see if I can get any progress. If not, I will post the files here for you to look at.