Importing a map into CC3?

I am a brand new user of this program and enjoy it a lot, but there are some things that are frustrating me. I have been trying to import a background map to use as the terrain background for a city map. I drag and drop the image into the working window/field just fine, but I get a white box in the middle of the image that I cannot resize or make go away. How can I tell the program to either resize that box to fit the image, or make the image fit into the white box?

Comments

• Howdy ! I have never used drag and drop before.

Here is the method I use, there are other methods.

1) I save as the larger map under a different filename.

2) make a hollow square on the map of the smaller area I want to make a map of.

3) Using the Info -> distance find out its width and height.

4) Add text to the map with those miles.

5) Save As rectangular section png

6) Open a new map template. Make it ( I forget the exact wording) but its similar to 'decide my own settings'. Use the distances you found above in step 3.

7) add a new sheet and new layer. I call them bmp or bitmap.

8) Insert the rectangular section png into the new map. I start at the upper right, and then holding down the control/ctrl key, move the mouse pointer to the lower left corner.

9) Once you have that corner where you want it, I place them just under the map border or if it doesn't have a frame close to the corner. Let go the ctrl key.

10) Then I click the mouse button. Puts the png in place.

Now you can trace around it, showing and hiding sheets, as you work on it. I save as often. save as filename01_001, do some work, save as filaname01_002, etc.

Typically the filename part will be the name of the smaller district, a town, etc.

Seems like many steps, but I did this for over 1,000 maps and got used to it fairly quickly.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Jim's instructions may be a bit detailed if you already have the image which I get the impression you have, since they covered everythin from first eporting part of a map as an image.

The shorter list, use Draw -> Insert file, it gives you better control over the image insertion process than drag/drop. Create a new sheet first as Jim says in step 7 to hold the image, then insert it to fit within the border of the your map (your map should be appropriately sized to fit the area of the image you want to insert in real world units (miles/km, not pixels or inches).
  • I just like to touch all the bases, that way I don't leave anything out.

My apologies if it was confusing.
  • AHA! The draw-> insert file is exactly what i was looking for!! Thank you. Knew there had to be a way. Thank You!!!