Contours and land use cancelling each other out

Quite apart from the fact that I've been fighting with what I realised this morning were two different styles of map and trying to combine them (one being an almost street by street cities for the key location, and the other being the overland style) I'm battling with contours and land use/type, i.e farmland, tundra. This bit of the problem I think I can solve - eventually!

However this next bit is something I need help with. I have a very high city (lovingly drawn almost street by street) but I want to have a ravine that goes below sea-level nearby.

I have used the contours tools but the moment I put scrubland in the ravine the ravine disappears. I've played with the sheet order, but that means the scrubland becomes indistinct, and so it may as well not be there at all.

Advice welcome, and gratefully received.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    It is difficult to give clear advice without at least an iamge (or even better, the .fcw file, because this allows me to analyze the map in ways I can't with an image)

But generally, what you probably need to do here is to use multiple sheets. Not everything can be solved just by changing the sheet order, in some cases you also need to divide things over multiple sheets, so you can arrange entities more freely in relation to each other. Remember to move the entities you draw to the correct sheet when doing this, because CC3+ will often put thing on the default sheet, requiring you to use change properties to move things to the sheet you want it.
    Don't be afraid to use lots of sheets.
  • edited June 2020
    Here you are, one .fcw. The sheets I've created are in lower case for ease of locating them.

Having watched your 'sneak in' video in Ralph's absence it solidified my use of sheets!
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited June 2020
    Ok, so you wish to have scrubland terrain down at the bottom of the ravine, near where Equine Lake, where you also have some grass?

I get a bit confused by your comment that the ravine disappears. Are you drawing the scrubland big enough that it actually covers up the ravine? If so, what is your intentions here? Do you really want it to be just at the bottom, or do you want it also up along the edges of the ravine, but still see the contours?