MDR Export from FT3

I'm trying to export a special MDR file from FT3 to Wilbur, but all i get is a flat continent in Wilbur. When I look at map info in Wilbur it says that the max elevation is 1109135.375 and the min elevation is -1537119671549952. I'm trying to follow the Israh tutorial. Currently using Wilbur 1.89 and FT3 3.021. I've tried special MDR, 16 bit special MDR, regular MDR, png grey scale. Nothing gives any terrain variation on the map. MDR exports from FT3 I did last year open up with terrain variation in Wilbur, just nothing currently.

Comments

• Anyone have an answer?
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    You may have a NaN value in your surface somewhere. Try using Tools>>Actions>>Normalize Data in FT before the export and see if that makes any difference.
    Alternatively, you might have one or more values that are out of scale with the rest of the surface. In Wilbur, use Window>>Histogram to see the surface distribution. If you see a thin line right around value 0, then one or more of the data values are damaged. Use Filter>>Height Clip with a reasonable Min and Max values (min=-10000 and max=10000 are a good place to start). If you start to see something useful, use Window>>Histogram again to determine the live parts of your data (the parts that look like a mound in the middle of the histogram) and apply height clip again to get things roughly in range.
  • Tried the Normalize Data--it had no effect. Histogram initially showed nothing in Wilbur, except lowest point is -2.30e18 and highest point is 8.38e6. So tried the height clip to range from -9144 to 15000. At that point terrain started showing up and a histogram could be seen. So it looks like the FT3 file is either corrupted or getting corrupted when converted to special MDR. The map is one that I managed to import into FT3 by converting it to a black and white JPEG with only hills, mountains, and rivers left on the map so I could see where they needed to go after the import. I've since done a lot of work on the map and don't want to throw it all away, but may have to start over with a bare continent outline.
  • 2 months later
  • edited August 2020
    I'm having this same issue, and only recently. I have successfully used both FT3 and Wilbur before (going through Sue's awesome CA155 tutorial, thanks Sue!).

I have tried the advice above and nothing seems to help. I tried hunting through numbers in the Histogram to see if I could nail it down but only managed to move the thin blue line to one side or the other.

Screenshot attached, and here's a google drive link to my .FTW file if that helps. (The file was too big to attach here)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vtry-cXKMfBrlRh0aKY_ERgJe7fcLtcL/view?usp=sharing
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    edited August 2020
    There's a known bug in FT3 that sometimes causes corruption in a hidden column of pixels. You can definitely export to Special MDR, open in Wilbur, Normalize, Height Clip, save, create new binary world in FT, adjust edit size, and finally Burn In To Surface as a way to fix your problem.

If, however, your world is already the victim of a Burn In To Surface operation (that is, altitudes reside wholly in the offset channel), then you can use the Global Math Tool (Tools>>Global Math Tool) to do the equivalent of a height clip directly in FT3. One thing to watch out for is that the tool operates in the native altitude units (meters) rather than the selected altitude units (which might be feet). To clip your world to between -9144 and +9144 meters (+/- 30000 feet), try this:

a) Tools>>Actions>>Normalize Data to get rid of any obviously bad data (just in case).
    b) Tools>>Global Math Tool to bring up the Math Tools dialog. Select Destination as Offset, Source 1 as Offset, Operation as Minimum, Source 2 as Constant, and Constant Value as 9144. Then click OK. This operation clips the highest point in the world to 9144 meters (every pixel is picked as the lower of its current value or 9144).
    c) Tools>>Global Math Tool to bring up the Math Tools dialog again. Change Operation to Maximum and Constant Value to -9144. Then click OK. This operation clips the lowest point in the world to -9144 meters (every pixel is picked as the higher of its current value or -9144).