How to make 2 versions of the same Dungeon map with different styles but to exactly the same scale.

I want to make 2 separate maps for a dungeon, one that uses the Schley Inks style (DM reference map) and one that uses the SSA2 style Battle Map to use like a game board. I want to draw the same exactly wall and floor contours on both maps but I want the DM reference map to be 1sq = 10' and the Battle Map to be 1sq = 5'.

Is there a way to draw the walls and structures so that they can be copied and re-scaled using a different style?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    In a dungeon map 1 map unit = 1 foot, and all the fills and symbols are automatically set to a default size that is appropriate to that map unit scale. You don't have to draw the maps at different scales. You can draw them at the same scale, but just export them at different sizes.

You change the size of the exported jpg/png file by clicking the Options button in the Save as... dialog ;)
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited May 2018
    If you want different sized grids on the two maps, simply set the grid up to the right size for that map when you create it.
  • edited May 2018
    Ok, that works for 2 scaled versions of the same map. But what if I want to use a completely different drawstyle and palate for the 2 versions. My biggest issue is that the top level of the Dungeon is actually an outside map of a ruined keep. It sits atop a butte or plateau and i have to hand draw the contours. How can I copy the outline from one map to another?

As i said I want to do Schley Inks for the DM reference map and the Symbol Set 2 Bitmap A symbols, floors, walls etc... for the Battle Map, but I want them to be scale versions of the same dimensions.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    You can copy things between map using a normal clipboard copy. For precision placement, when the copy asks for the origin, instead of clicking to select it, type 0,0 and hit enter.
    Then, when pasting in the destination map, instead of placing it visually, after selecting 'Paste', instead of placing it visually, just type 0,0 again (Basically to place it in the same position as the source map) and hit enter, followed by Esc to end the pasting.

You can always change the style of anything drawn with a drawing tool with the 'Change like draw tool' command, found by right clicking change properties. Otherwise, you can also always use change properties on entities and change their fill style.
  • When you draw the outline of the butte, save as butte and save as interior.

Now you have the start of an interior map, same dimensions as the outside.

For my maps I would typically do butte01_0001, make some changes, save as butte01_0002, etc.

When I make maps, I sometimes want to go back further than undo handles. Or just several maps back. I just load the map I want to go back to. No need to try undo.

Yes, I have a large number of maps for each thing I do; however, this way I can make many different maps based on one particular start map.
  • Great tips, thanks everyone. I will try these out.