Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2020 edited

Well, nothing much here actually. Jolly good, onward !

My plans are to make a Ferraris type town above, with at least one way down into the dungeon city. The dungeon city will be an isometric one using Sue's first annual CA146.

I would like suggestions on where to place it in the Community Atlas.

Okay, this is just a bare minimum sketch... but I hope to work on this as time goes by.
      dungeon_city01_000003b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2020

Wow! That's quite a tall order, Jim. I don't think there are any ruin symbols in the Ferraris style, but you could draw the outlines of the buildings using various thicknesses of wall, I suppose.

What is 'broken ground'?

The Ferraris Style is a top view style, while the isometric town annual is isometric. Its not always easy to marry top view and isometric view styles together, so you might find it easier to split them into 2 separate maps?
    • CommentAuthorJimP

The surface map will be Ferraris style.

Broken ground is rocks. Chasms, etc.

The walled city will be the iso city annual and the ruins will be the two dungeon iso symbols.

But right now its just a layout idea that might change. Its possible this dungeon city will take more than one map, or it might be just one map.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I am so pleased you have taken up my challenge/suggestion/order/ demand to do this Jim. A very ambitious project.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2020 edited

Quenten, as long as you don't make me eat heavily breaded chips and heavily breaded fish, it will be okay.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Heavily breaded - yuk. Never had that, unless you mean battered.

But if that what it takes for you to carry out this project, then no fish for you. hehehe
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I think I might prefer mine done the stone age way. That's a whole salmon stuffed with herbs, wrapped in straw, cased in clay, and put in the edge of a camp fire for 2 hours. Proper finger food :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Had that, and a Maori hungi is very similar. And it is truly finger lickin' good (unlike some other food we will not mention)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2020

No, I meant breaded. I've encountered fish so heavily breaded that there was more breading than fish. Never went back there. Definately a tourist trap.

Anyway, rough weather came through, now gone, so I waited to boot up my computer.

Maybe a map by Monday. We shall see.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2020 edited

Here is the preliminary ruins map. I think I'll have to do each area separate, with connecting parts mapped. 'This passageway leads to the runins'. etc.

There is a passageway in the upper right. Easier to see on the 2,000 pixel export, not so well on this 900 pixel version.

Yes, the symbols are on top of the map border, I may change that.
      dungeon_city02_ruins01_005b.png
    • CommentAuthorShessar

This will be a really cool map. Can't wait to see what all you do with it. :D
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Me to !

:-)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

The barrel/brazier on the left is for a teleport area... hopefully I can come up with something better.

Cage on the right side is named 'The feeder'.

Pile of bones on the upper right of the cloudy water must mean some being leaned over to see what was in the water.

Pile of rocks room, there is a connection over to the wooden ladder and rope bridge, its about 2 feet wide and has easy access to the water. And whatever is in the water has easy access to any thing on that walkway.
      dungeon_city02_ruins01_017b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

You've done that cloud layer really nicely, Jim.

I think I'm beginning to see how you will fit this together, though you may find that the isometric town symbols, being city symbols rather than dungeon scale symbols, have a much lower resolution than the bit you've done so far.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2020

No, no, it really is a teleportation area. It just looks like a burning barrel. Trust me, I'm a DM...
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Well, I wanted an effect like a glowing sphere, but the burning barrel is good to.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2020 edited

What are you talking about? That's clearly a teleportation station. It's got one of those new-fangly holographic camouflage fields around it. That's all.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Uhm, okay. I'll leave it in.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2020 edited

Somehow I got symbols onto symbols walls.

First map is me trying to correct it and add supports for stairs down to a room not done yet on that map.

Second map is what it was just before I realized my mistake.

I looked under Symbol Manager, each symbol, then options, I don't see a way to move them to the correct sheet.

Trying to select them by hand in an iso map is very difficult. I may just back back several versions and start over various bits. Its future users of the fcw files I want this to be correct for.

Anyway, here they are.
      dungeon_city02_ruins01_021b.png
      dungeon_city02_ruins01_020b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2020

I had problems with this map. I accidently put floor symbols on the symbols walls sheet.

After some fumbled attempts to fix it, I just went back to an earlier version of the map and started the right hand bottom corner, and the center, over again.

Since I am going to have to sit down and sketch out some ideas out for the Fort, I'll be working on this map for a day or two. Or taking a break. I sit too much, but its pouring rain outside.
      dungeon_city02_ruins01b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2020 edited

Broken Grounds. Now you see the current holes in the floor, and now you don't.

The fog and floor plan are going to be modified, but this is a good start.
      DF_broken_ground01_0003b.png
      DF_broken_ground01_0004b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2020

In previous Iso maps, I put in low wall pieces to symbolize there was a full height wall there.

Not this time. If there is no wall, or low level piece, then its a drop off. The amount of the drop off, depends on the referee.

Clouds/fog left off so you can see details.
      DF_broken_ground01_0007b.png
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

The clouds also show when the latest barbecue disaster's just happened...

Or is it just that someone's left the lid off the burning barrel again - oops, sorry "teleportation gate" ;) ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

It's dragon breath, silly
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Fog put there by the DM to confuse and kill off characters.

However, my home players' characters would not blithlely just walk into the fog and expect the floor to be there.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2020

I think your home players are probably quite used to your deviousness! :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Devious?! - he is downright murderous!!! :D
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I was trying to be polite!

LOL!
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Well, don't have any players... this is just for the Atlas.

I was kidding earlier about home players.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Why? Have they already been put down - into a never-ending hole! :D
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2020

Nah, we all moved away and haven't gamed since the 1980s. We talk about getting back together, but schedules don't match.
    • CommentAuthorseycyrus

Posted By: JimPNah, we all moved away and haven't gamed since the 1980s. We talk about getting back together, but schedules don't match.

That's what a virtual table top is for! I play with my old high school and college friends.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Scheduling is the problem.
    • CommentAuthorseycyrus
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2020 edited

Posted By: JimPScheduling is the problem.

You should also reconsider the duration and size of your gaming sessions.

Even with a VTT it is hard to get 4+ players together for blocks of 6+ hours the way we did in the 80s. You can get a lot done with 1 or 2 players in 1-2 hours, or even fractions of an hour with 1 player.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2020

Coming up with a week when we can get together on a VTT, or elsewhere, is the problem. I am retired, the others aren't.

Actually, coming up with a year and a month is the biggest problem for now.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2020

Such is the problem with work these days.

People have to work harder than they did 30 years ago for the same standard of living they had then. Unpaid overtime included - just to be more likely to keep the job than the person who refuses to do it.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime4 days ago

The Deep, a city.

Some mistakes... city walls too close to the dungeon wall, and I have the buildings on the text layer, Argh. And no tunnels leading out...

Anyway, here is the start.
      dungeon_city_thedeep01_0004b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime4 days ago

Oh I see what you mean now. It could work, though the scale is pretty different between dungeon and city.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime4 days ago

Yes, the city would be tiny if I hadn't increased the scale.

All of these maps are 800' x 600'.

I could make them larger, but I felt the detail would be hard to see.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime2 days ago

An update on the city. The floor will be added to cover most of the clouds, but there will be gaps, so they can defend themselves easier.

There are afterall undead over in the ruins.
      dungeon_city_thedeep01_0016b.png
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTime2 days ago

Oh! Wonderful JimP!!!

Please keep going with this idea. I'm loving it already. :D
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime1 day ago

Thank you. I work on these maps when I can.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime1 day ago

DNS server at my local ISP is up and down today. So my connectivity is not good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTime1 day ago

If your ISP's DNS is unreliable, you should consider using Google's (8.8.8.8) or CloudFlare's (1.1.1.1) instead. They both have an acceptable performance. Not quite as good as that of a good ISP, but better than many mediocre and bad ISP's.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime1 day ago

Well, its my relative's link... I don't have the money to do it myself.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime1 day ago

They had us disconnected to work on the line this morning. Sorry, my mistake.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime1 day ago

My mobile network does that too, so you aren't alone. I think they all do. It's because they don't want to have to pay out any compensation to people who work from home, so they're pretty cagey about admitting to the interruption to the service until its all over, and then only to people who persist in wanting to know what the heck is going on.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime23 hours ago

This time I saw their truck on our street. Then we had an outage. The truck came back. Connection went back up.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime22 hours ago edited

Update on the city.

Stone and wood barricades, holes in the approaches, walls and towers.

Just need a ballista to place over in the left hand open area, as a threat to the town.
      dungeon_city_thedeep01_0020b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime21 hours ago

Looking good :)

Here's a thought, Jim. You seem to have the old style walls and towers without the base shading that makes them look more realistic.

If you re-download and reinstall the annual you should get the new ones instead.