Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    So after a crap ton of trial and error, I am starting to get some fun results with PER3. This is the ground floor of a tower. The hardest bit was figuring out how to make a "window" in the wall that actually reveals what's behind it, WITHOUT using a symbol. At the end of the day, they are actually fairly easy to draw with polygons.

Not sure where I am going to take this.
      Tower1.png
    Most of the construction is just 3d polygons. The corners were made using the wall function. The little slanty bits were made using the IBOXA command, works works OK enough. I got kind of lazy when I got to the front door ;)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2019

That looks great, Max :)

Better than I know how to do ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

So good, I have bookmarked it.
    <blockquote><cite>Posted By: Loopysue</cite>That looks great, Max :)

Better than I know how to do ;)</blockquote>

Bah! Fake News! ;)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

But no!

The irony is that while I may be making a whole lot of Perspective symbols right now - I still can't draw anything in Perspectives. I haven't had time to learn it properly ;)
    • CommentAuthorShessar

I'll be watching as you develop this. Tonnichiwa has done some amazing things with PER3 as well. Your windows intrigue me but I suspect that they are more complex than what I would want to take time for. I do maps for gaming and players don't always appreciate the effort that goes into this.

Wonderful work!
    Thanks all!

I am not a DM, so these are more for my own personal enjoyment :) I often get as far as I need to go in order to figure out how things work, and then move on to a new project.
    Next Iteration
      TowerGlitch.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2019

OMG! HOW... did you do that spiral staircase?

Its brilliant :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

OMG
    • CommentAuthorShessar

That's amazing!!!

Ralf, if you're seeing this, we need you to get Max to do a tutorial for the blog on how to do some of this, even if it is just bits and pieces....the windows and the spiral stairs especially.
    Thanks all - the comments are much appreciated.

The stairs are just three instances of the spiral stair symbol from the Wielink symbol set stacked. . .

The windows are a little harder to describe, but not too bad.

1) In perspectives view, make a rectangle for the frame and an arch shape.
    2) Combine with multipoly.
    3) Now we need to give it some depth. Copy the resulting 2-dimensional window.
    4) Move one of the copies "orthogonally" behind the other one. (IE, if the window opens to the north, place one copy a bit further to the north/"behind" the other one.)
    5) Change the fill texture so that one of the panes is lighter than the other, but uses the same basic texture. In this example, the windows on the north wall use the brown stone, dark fill for the "front" face. The "back" face uses the medium brown stone texture.
    6) Draw in the horizontal faces using the polygon tool.
    7) Fill the horizontal faces with the brown stone light texture.
    8) Sort everything using the move to back / move to front commands.

In the top story, the columns between the windows are easily made using the 3d polygon tool.

I could not figure out how to give the frames any type of texture that has discrete bricks, blocks, cobbles, or boards in it because the multipoly command does not work on distorted texture elements.
    • CommentAuthorclithgow

This makes me really want to pick up the Perspectives software! Lovely.
    Essentially, what we are doing is extruding a shape, but horizontally instead of vertically. Here is an assembly diagram that is probably easier to understand.

For east or west wall windows, the process is identical, but it's important to swap the stone-brown and stone-brown, dark textures to keep the shading consistent.
      WindowConstruction.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Aaaah! I seeeeee :D

Show's how much I know about the symbol sets ;)

That's a lovely symbol isn't it - and thank you very much for the window method :)
    Symbols are a blessing and a curse ;)
    Update

Nothing new technique-wise, but a lot [Insanely] of move-to-front commands! ;)
      TOWER2.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2019

Oh I really like this!

I love the balcony floor especially :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2019

Unbelievably fantastic
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2019

This is incredible and your method for making the windows is more than clever. Thanks so much for sharing. It is truly inspiring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf

This is very, very nice. Thanks for sharing!
    Very good job!

Welcome to the Per3 enthusiasts.
    Final version - I think it's time to move on.

Finishing off the turret was tough. . . it's hard to get a roof that is dimensionally "correct" without looking wonky. To get the two-tiered effect, I just stacked two roofs (using the building command) on top of each other.
      Crib de Linus.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

My goodness!

That is just amazing :)

Rooftops are quite difficult, but you seem to have done that one really well.

What will you be moving on to?
    Not sure. . . I have been toying with the idea of making a bunch of buildings in a Chinese garden type setting, but I am not sure about getting the right symbols.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2019

What sort of symbols are you thinking of, Max?
    Foliage symbols! Plants! Streams! Trees!
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Hmmm.

I'm not an expert on isometric symbol availability, but maybe someone here can help. I know that some of the third party symbol sets contain a smattering of isometric symbols but its a very long time since I knew anything about them.

Alternatively, do you know that you can import any set of png images to CC3 and make your own symbol set - draw your own as well if you like :) CC3 is designed to be customizable that way so that people can personalize their symbol collection.
    Posted By: Loopysuemonsen@monsen.cc

Posted By: LoopysueAlternatively, do you know that you can import any set of png images to CC3 and make your own symbol set - draw your own as well if you like :) CC3 is designed to be customizable that way so that people can personalize their symbol collection.

Yup. . . at some point I might bust out my tablet and start making symbols. . . still playing with what's already out there for now ;)
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Fantastic!

I agree with your comment on the difficulty with making roofs. I really struggled with it when I made the Forrestal Chapel map and feel that I never did get it quite right. It always looks wrong even when the angles are correct. Yours turned out just fine though. :)
    I really, really wanted to do the cut-away thing on the top of the turret. . . but I have not figured out how to do that for the roof itself short of using the color key effect [Which I should have tried, in retrospect.] Before building more of the turret wall, the peaked roof just seemed to float without being grounded. . . . it looked totally off. Leaving off that roof would have given the whole thing more of a church's bell tower look, which was not the goal.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2019

Posted By: MaxSchellsenFoliage symbols! Plants! Streams! Trees!

None that I know of.
    • CommentAuthordaperdepa
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2020

I just found this thread and I have to say it is outstanding work, Max. I'm currently trying to map two very different towers, a crimson, tall, cylindrical one and a black, short, square one, and i'm going to shamelessly steal a lot of ideas from here. Kudos, Max!
    • CommentAuthorkevbeck43
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2020

One thing you could do Max short of posting a full tutorial is to post your .FCW here. It would also be far less intensive than a tutorial. That way we can reverse engineer what you have done by looking at your sheets directly in ProFantasy. I've learned to do a lot just by using the .FCW maps provided with the examples we get with the product.
    Discussion bookmarked so I can check the great techniques described here later!