Annoying Command Error

So I've noticed over the last few days (no CC3+ updates) that as I'm working on my map, seemingly after some random time (I haven't figured out what might trigger this) commands like Zoom Out, either from the icon, the menu or command line all throw an error that CC3+ doesn't recodnize the command.

Given that these are basic commands, and I haven't changed the map style or even the active map, I'm not sure what might be causing this. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this or resolve it, etc?

Comments

• I have been getting this too; I just save, close the map, restart it - and no problems (till next time)
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Same experience as Quenten - close and reopen solves it, but it is worrying me quite a bit.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Does it perhaps happen if a particular add-on has been activated by clicking its button on the toolbar? That loads a new (broken?) menu and re-loading the map might be going back to the original.
    In my case, I'm working all the time in CD3. It might also be linked to the fact that sometimes the zoom is a bit sticky.

For example, I use the zoom to selection once to get into what I'm working on, click a tool to do something to it, but I still have the zoom to selection thing active and can't get rid of it. At that point I have to save, close and reopen to get rid of the sticky zoom.

Its 'zoom-happy', Ralf :)
    It doesn't stick every time (which is why I didn't say anything - thinking it was a glitch with my stupid machine).

Zooming by mouse wheel is perfectly safe - for me, though slower for large maps than using the zoom to selection.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited July 2018
    ZOUT2 is a macro command (found in the macro file, as opposed to a built-in command), which makes me wonder:
    - Have you done anything to your macros before this happens, such as loading a new macro file? (I know I have seen several tutorials having people putting the macros in a new macro file and loading it with LOADMAC to access the stuff)
    - Do the other macro commands work as intended when this happen? For example if you click the link with map or link with file buttons. (Note that I am specifically wondering about macro commands here. Most buttons calls built-in commands, and are not interesting in this regard)
    I never touch the macros, so I think my problem may be unrelated but coincidentally similar to LE's
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited July 2018
    I haven't been getting it, so I too would be interesting in which template/add-on was doing this.

Have you tried SELBYD to end a broken/interrupted macro ?
  • So the map I'm working with is based on a SS4 (Schley) template. I'm not changing map modes at all. I have loaded a macro file from the menus (the two step one MattKure put together on the forum for me.)

The new/custom macros continue to work. As do placing new symbols.

I'll pay attention to macros, and if I can figure out what's causing it. But any suggestions on what (else) to look for of log files etc to post, let me know.
  • I'll take special note when it happens to me next time. (Perhaps saying this will mean it will never happen again? :D )
    edited July 2018
    Posted By: LordEntrailsI have loaded a macro file from the menus (the two step one MattKure put together on the forum for me.)
    Did you remember to reload the original macro file after using this file then? When you load a new macro file, it replaces the existing one, so unless you load the original again, it is normal that buttons relying on macros stop working.
  • Posted By: Monsen
    Posted By: LordEntrailsI have loaded a macro file from the menus (the two step one MattKure put together on the forum for me.)
    Did you remember to reload the original macro file after using this file then? When you load a new macro file, it replaces the existing one, so unless you load the original again, it is normal that buttons relying on macros stop working.
    No, no I did not. Did not know that...
    Well, guess that means I need to put my new macros into the default system file then...
    Keep a backup. They may be overwritten in an update at some point, LE.
    Personally, I prefer to use script files instead of loading replacement macro files. Running a script file isn't that different from running a macro, and is still a 1-liner, and running a script file doesn't mess with your macros. There are too much important stuff in the default macro file these days to justify unloading it to load a different file. I always cringe when I see tutorials doing this.
  • LordEntrailsLordEntrails Traveler
    edited July 2018
    Okay, now to go learn how to turn this macro into a script file :)
    A script file is just a text file with macro commands. It doesn't have the MACRO/END lines, since you call the file instead of a macro. File is called with SCRIPT/SCRIPTM. I recommend keeping them in your CC3+ data directory, since you can then just go SCRIPTM @myscript.scr to run it. This will run the actual script in the file, as opposed to LOADMAC which loads in a new macro file which you must then call the macros from.
  • So you cant put two macros into a script file right? you would use 1 script file per macro. Does using script files affect how the macros can access variables? For example, in the macros I wrote for LordEntrails thread, the first macro sets some variables containing points. And the second macro uses the variables set by the first one. If I run them as scripts, CC keep the variables values between the first and second script?
    1 file per macro yes, and you would skip the MACRO and ENDM lines.
    It does not affect how variables are used. Variables are stored in the CC3+ instance anyway, and are not scoped to a macro or script. So it is no problem setting the macros in the first script for use with the second.

Also note that the standard extension for scripts is .scr, and if you use that, you can call them without the extension from CC3+. For example if your script file is called MyScript.scr and put in the CC3+ data directory, you can call it with SCRIPTM @MyScript
  • thats helpful, I'll play around with it. I dont like touching the default files for fear I'll screw something up. I did that once where I added my own button to the dungeon menu. Afterward every time I opened or loaded a dungeon map, it took minutes to load. I finally dug through the files and realized somehow that my dungeon.mnu was over 50MB, and filled with blank lines. learned my lesson, just leave them alone :)