Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2018

Is there a cemetery anywhere?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2018

Yes - 4 churches have their own cemetery, and there is a huge one south of the monastery in the east.

I think I will put the rubbish dump further to the west, and adopt Jerry's idea south of Beacon Hill (which has to be redrawn anyway).

Working on the city poor section, adding more dreary apartment blocks - yes, they had them in Roman cities, as well as modern slum areas - 'housing estates' I believe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Still not sure about Beacon Hill, though i like this better - thanks for the method Sue - first time i have used Blend effect . Any suggestions for improvement.
      Torstan - Beacon Hill.PNG
    • CommentAuthorGThiel

The edge of the beacon hill seems to straight, the color needs to blur between the ground and the green of the hill. Have the hill and the steps leading up to it throw a shadow.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Using a blur with the transparent solids blurs the texture as well (did I say use blur? If I did that was a mistake. It should have been EFI). It would be better to massively extend the area of the shadow side, so that its not so abrupt, and use an EFI. Possibly not such a dark shadow?
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Maybe its the angle of the sun... but shouldn't the tower on the building on Beacon Hill be casting more of a shadow than the other end of the building ?

I'm not really sure what the 3 spikey shadows on the right side of the hill are being cast by what building, ground area, etc.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

That's the hand drawn hill shading that Quenten was talking about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

It obviously needs more work. Sue, any chance of sending me the FCW of the example you gave me earlier on this thread?
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2018

No. Sorry.

I drew it in the middle of the FCW I was working on at the time (Japanese Temples), and deleted it and its sheets from my workspace once I'd got the image for you. Even if it had been its own map I wasn't really happy with the idea of uploading it because its a very half-baked method for adding relief shading. Very hit and miss. Needs much more development to make it generally useful.

However, I have made this one just now for you, which is slightly different (though equally hit and miss), where I use ordinary coloured polygons and a blur instead of an EFI.

I can't really describe how its done. That's the problem. I have very limited time right now, but basically I look down on the land as if I am a bird, and I draw the white polygon where I think there will be highlight on the mound directly below me, and the black polygon where I think there will be shadow in the lee of the mound. The longer shadow indicates that the slope is more gradual. A cliff would just be a very thin and relatively sharp line. So in this case there is a scarp slope (relatively steep) on the highlight side, and a far more gentle slope on the shaded side.

In the interest of not polluting the forum with half baked ideas that may or may not work, I will whisper the FCW to you, and promise everyone else that I will work on a way to make this a more certain science.
      Hill Shading.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Thanks, Sue, I am sure I will find this useful. I have been working on the city for some hours now - and am now happy with the buildings, and have added a ruined village, using the City Ruins annual of Par Lindstrom. If only a pagoda was required, or appropriate here - I can see a Japanese temple complex based on the layout of Angkor Wat coming up - and I can't wait for the Asian city annual - for a city for the continent of Kumarikandam.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Thanks, Quenten.

I'm glad you like it :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

The end is in sight. Only a few roads in the countryside to fix, and beacon hill to be further fiddled with, and then Labelling, which awaits the input of Felix Schultz who commissioned this city which will occur on Monday. So definitely finished and submitted within 3-4 days - yippee! BTW, the commission price was to allow me to use it for my own world, as well as submit it to the Atlas, with me retaining copyright.
      Torstan.PNG
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Amazing! What size did you create this map at?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Including frame, 1400 x 1400 metres with 6499 buildings.
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Impressive...
    • CommentAuthorJensen
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2018

Chapeau Quenten, I love this city map. When can we start playing? I have several ideas ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2018

I am forwarding this map (Torstan version) to the Atlas tomorrow, along with extensive notes. I hope some of you can get good use out of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTime7 days ago edited

Torstan is now in the atlas. Thanks for a great city map Quenten.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTime6 days ago

AMAZING, Quenten! Thank you for this wonderful contribution. I'm about to head off to italy for a 13 day holiday and hope to get back to mapping for the Atlas when i return in the fall. For now....i am most certainly going to snatch this one up and use it in my own campaign. BRAVO, sir!