Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    Loopysue,

I have just successfully reinstalled FT3, CC3+ CD3+ SS1 SS3 Annuals 1,2,3,7,9 on a Mint 18.2 installation basically using Remy's instructions above. However there are a couple of variations you might wish to consider.

After "sudo apt-get remove x" use
    "sudo apt-get autoremove "
    This remove any packages that were dependencies of "x" and are no longer required. This ensures when you install a newer version of "x" it will also install newer versions of the other required packages.

After this consider using "sudo apt-get purge" to remove any old cached versions of downloaded software.

I then used the following commands, as suggested on the WIne HQ web site, for Mint 18 installation.

sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ xenial main'

Then
    sudo apt-get update

Then
    sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-stable

After which everything installed as expected.

Good luck.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2018

Thank you, Andrew :)

I will try it all... eventually ;)
    • CommentAuthorteef
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2018

have read through this, thought i had followed the instructions but no joy: when i try to open the installer nothing happens. no error messages, no icon in the applications menu, nada. sifted through the ~/.wine/drive_c/... folders, don't seem that anything was installed.

i'm on linux Mint 18.3 using Cinnamon 3.6.7, kernel is 4.15.0-29-generic, wine-3.0.2.

anyone have any suggestions?
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I am sorry, teef, but I can't be much help to you.

Everything was working fine until the processor security scare and the subsequent updates. Now my Linux partition is about as useless as my Windows one. I can no longer open my larger maps (GIMP and Krita maps), and the system only has 1.5GB RAM available to the user. Consequently I have abandoned the Linux partition because most of my software is Windows anyway, and never use it.

Maybe one of the more knowledgeable people here on the forum may be able to help you, though :)
    • CommentAuthorteef

sorry to hear the Linux didn't work out for you. been there, though in my case it was the reverse: windo$ became unworkable for me so i moved to Linux.
    i can't say the process hasn't had its serious potholes-in-the-road but overall i'm happy i made the transition. these days the only time i ever even think of windo$ is when i run into a situation like this: a win app that i really want to use and no linux version is available.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I started the same way - Win 10 made a joke of my machine when the Creators Update came through last year, so I turned to Linux. Unfortunately both partitions are pretty useless these days. That happened 6 months later in the early months of this year, when the security updates to the processors came out, and slowed my machine down to just 50% of its previous speed. While that's not a complete disaster, I have actually started to become far less efficient and very chaotic in my working because there's too much time between things happening - too much time to sit and think and get distracted by other ideas. My imagination works too fast for the laptop to keep up with me now.
    Strange as I am currently running CC3+/FT on Linux Mint with just a few minor issues as noted above. Other than using Mate desktop rather than Cinnamon my setup is very similar. (And I am sure I used Cinnamon on MInt 18.1)
    Mint 18.3 Sylvia 64 bit
    Kernel 4.15.0-29-generic X86_64
    Mate 1.18.0
    Wine 3.0.2

So no idea what the issue might be unless it is something specific to Cinnamon, but I am not convinced on that.

When I was experimenting I did find that I needed to completely clear out any old versions of Wine, before installing a different one, and once that lesson was learned I did the same for any left over filestore from failed installs of PF programs. It might be worth checking if you have a similar issue.

Once Wine is installed I could then just right click on the exe installation files and choose the top option "Open with Wine installer" then let everything go through on the default settings. You will be prompted to install Mono etc, just say yes each time.
    Sorry can't be any more help than that.

At the moment I am just upgrading to Mint 19. I will let you know if I succeed in CC3+/FT installing again. However that won't be for a little while as I have other thing to install and configure first which are a higher priority for various projects.

Andrew
    • CommentAuthorteef

"... Once Wine is installed I could then just right click on the exe installation files and choose the top option "Open with Wine installer" then let everything go through on the default settings. ..."

thank you for that. just curious, did you need to do anything with PATH?

thanks for the thought regarding old versions, etc. this is my first crack at Wine so that won't be an issue.
    Hi teef,
    You may have now succeeded, if so congratulations, but in case not :-

Apologies for delay. Main and backup PCs now successfully upgraded to Mint19. Of course on the way I realised there were various things about my set up that should have been done differently so changed those along the way as well which increased the time taken.
    Anyway, the way I upgraded meant that I retained the PF programs on my main PC and didn't need to reinstall them, which was a bonus. Once I installed the new version of Wine it just picked the existing set up and ran as before.
    On my backup PC I started from scratch. I pretty much followed the sequence I documented earlier in this thread to install CC3+ and latest update , which completed then ran CC3+ expected. I haven't tried various addons or annuals, but have no reason to think there will be an issue.

I didn't need to do anything with PATH or anything else. Everything was just a case of accepting as defaults, so I am not sure what your issue might be.

All I can do is stress that, in my experience, you need to make sure you completely delete any existing WINE components from your system before you start, including anything that might have been generated by a previous failed set up. Ideally also delete any filestore previous set ups may have created e.g. Z: drive.

The web pages at WINEHQ are quite detailed for Ubuntu and Mint, so if you follow these you should be OK. Reinstall WINE using the instructions at WINEHQ, not through the Mint Software Manager, as the version available through WineHQ seems more up to date. I used the "stable" branch, this has proved successful so far. I didn't bother with things like "PlayonLinux". If you then open your file manager and right click on the CC3+ installer you should see an option to "open with", select this, choose Wine Installer and the installation process should run in the normal way. Just accept various defaults including install Mono etc where prompted. This should complete and allow you to launch CC3+

I don't know if that helps.
    • CommentAuthorteef
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2018

hi Andrew, thanks for the follow-up. as it happens, no, i did not get things working but i'd still like to.

i'll try getting rid of my current Wine installation and starting over from scratch as you've suggested. hopefully that will do good things. either way i'll report back in a few days.
    • CommentAuthorsuntzu
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2018

If this helps i had a go at doing an install of cc3+ using mint version 19 , this is being run under parallels on my mac and i found that it wasnt as fast as running under crossover but was quite usable

after the default 64bit mint install and the adding of the parallels drivers and the mint software upgrades everything seamed to go as expected.

wine was installed using the following command lines:-

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list (in my case mint was built on “bionic”)
    wget https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key
    sudo apt-key add Release.key
    sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ bionic main'
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-add-repository https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-stable -y
    wine --version
    winecfg
    wineconf - set to windows 7
    sudo apt install winetricks
    winetricks
    install c++ 2015 runtime

it was then just a matter of installing cc3+ normally by right clicking on the executable and doing an open with "Wine Windows Program loader"

Hope this helps those of you who want to try running cc3+ under linux

Rob