DD3 Crash to Desktop

I was working with DD3 this afternoon to do a building layout. I wanted to share the finished map with a friend who doesn't have the program, so I saved a fcw copy, then clicked on "Save as JPG file". I received the following error message:

"FCW32.exe has stopped working:

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: fcw32.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.612
Application Timestamp: 476086d3
Fault Module Name: Effects.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 48e52dab
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000fb61
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.2
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 973068598"

I am running the program on Win Vista 32-bit

Comments

• I'm having this same problem (with DD3 and CD3) and would be very interested in hearing how to correct it.
    I too am on Vista.
  • What settings are you using save the jpeg? Also it looks like you have turned on the map's effects. You can try turning them off and see if the map will save. The error messages you included look to me like a fault in the effects module (probably related to Vista and the UAC). If you can successfully save the file as a jpeg with effects turned off, then you may want to write a note to the Profantasy tech support and let them know about the problem.
  • Um, I'm not really an advanced user. How did I "turn on the map's effects"? Better yet, how do I turn them back off?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Effects are turned on/of by either:
    1) Clicking the "sheet and effects" button, and checking "Activate sheet effects"
    2) Issuing the EFFECTSON command line command (EFFECTSTOG toggles between on and off, and EFFECTSOFF turns them off)
  • I've had this problem with other programs....is it possible that Windows Sidebar is causing interference? There are some programs I can only run with the sidebar turned off.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I haven't heard of any related problems with the sidebar, but then again, I've never heard of other programs having problems with it either (It is one if the first things I remove when I run Vista, as it really annoys me).
    But I would recommend you test it out to see if it is a possibility.
  • LatharionLatharion Traveler
    edited February 2009
    I have heard of strangeness with Vista's memory handling and CC3's sheet effects, bit it is rare. It could just be something "security" related, involving the UAC (or User Access Control). This can "feature" has been the bane of many programs and it is the main reason for most of the "incompatibility" issues with most 32bit older applications. This "feature" can be turned off if you wish to test whether it is the issue or not. Look in the control panel under "Security Center" if I remember right. It is buried though so some hunting is required. Also the Vista help file does NOT contain instructions on how to disable it (one of those nifty "Microsoft Features" ;) ). FYI the UAC is the main reason why many apps have to be run as "administrator" in Vista.

Does CC3 crash when it is actually saving the file or right after you choose where to save it? If it crashes right after you choose, try saving it to a different drive and see if that helps. It's kind of a longshot, but it's another possibility.
  • Posted By: LatharionI have heard of strangeness with Vista's memory handling and CC3's sheet effects, bit it is rare. It could just be something "security" related, involving the UAC (or User Access Control). This can "feature" has been the bane of many programs and it is the main reason for most of the "incompatibility" issues with most 32bit older applications. This "feature" can be turned off if you wish to test whether it is the issue or not. Look in the control panel under "Security Center" if I remember right. It is buried though so some hunting is required. Also the Vista help file does NOT contain instructions on how to disable it (one of those nifty "Microsoft Features" ;) ). FYI the UAC is the main reason why many apps have to be run as "administrator" in Vista.

Does CC3 crash when it is actually saving the file or right after you choose where to save it? If it crashes right after you choose, try saving it to a different drive and see if that helps. It's kind of a longshot, but it's another possibility.
    To turn off the UAC, go to Control Panel, click on Security Center, then click Other Security Settings. :)
  • Strange. No changes made, but this time it saved. Another mystery.