Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2017 edited

No mountains on this continent on this northern Hemisphere of Crestar continent. Not much on either one.

One CC3 overland map and one CA128 map. Which one looks better ?
      flatb.png
      northern01_00004b.png
    I like the second one. The parchment style has always been one of my favorites.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2017

I agree. The second one looks more interesting.
    • CommentAuthorrobotrock

I like the second one as well, but the bold black outline & text seem to kind of "drown out" the symbols a bit. I'm not sure if that makes sense...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

I like the second one too, but with the hills, maybe folks should have named the continent Flat-ish.  ;)
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

Second version for me as well. CA128 is really pretty! Plus I think it helps that there are additional "points of interest" symbols beyond just the terrain, main towns and vegetation on the second map. Those "Empty Lands" don't seem quite so lacking in features now either!

Might be worth moving that "Grata Forest" label on it just a little though, so the coastline doesn't cut the "G" and "r"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Number one
    Underdone,
    Number two
    Woohoo!
    • CommentAuthorJimP

The Empty Lands are a mystery part of Crestar. Nothing lives there, not even monsters/bad guys, nothing but plants of various types. Its a puzzle for the players to maybe solve.

The thick outline is part of the default landmass tool. I will probably thin it up a bit.

Whats this all about ? Well, I think the CA128 style will look good for my hemisphere maps. So I was thinking of making them into this style.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2017 edited

Here is the original Cc3 overland, and the CA128 verland parchmnet. The full hemisphere.
      northern_hemisphere01b.png
      northern01_00023b.png
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2017

This looks really impressive, Jim! Like the white labelling over the seas now too.

Having played around with the CA128 package a little more myself now, you might want to try using some of the varicolour town symbols for those places you'd originally marked as ports with the anchor symbols.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2017 edited

Agreed. These look really good in the CA128 style!

Along with varicolor cities, you might think of drawing a poly with a "solid 10 bitmap" fill (or solid 20) and an "Edge Fade, Inner" effect for the Death Deep.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

Looking at the map again. I really like this style for your maps.
    Wow! This new style definitely makes your world "pop"! Much better in my opinion. I really like it :)
    • CommentAuthorrobotrock

I agree with the others. The style really compliments the Crestar Hemisphere map. Nicely done!
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Thanks. Don't know what I'm going to do next on mapping, but I am apparently down with the flu so bed rest for now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2017 edited

Gah. I hate the flu. It's miserable. Get well soon.
    Great job, JimP!

I agree with everyone here. The CA128 style looks really nice on these maps, and I would be an advocate of using vc symbols for the settlements to make them stand out more. I also like the hot/cold water currents shown in the first map. Could you incorporate those into the new one? Perhaps quite faintly beneath the land sheet.

DMG
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2017

Well, yes. I have been thinking about it, in between coughing and wheezing. I do feel better today so I could work on this. And might work on smaller side tunnels for The Lost Mines.

And put the treasure map Xs back in as well. Those tie in with my portals for B4 The Lost City redo.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2017 edited

Changed some cities to vari-color and added some ocean currents. Fixed it up a bit more.
      northern01_00026b.png
    Wowwww this looks amazing in the parchment style!! Great work! <3 And very interesting map, I really love island states, I am partial to making them myself.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2017

Thanks !
    • CommentAuthorBarliman
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2017

I agree, the parchment style works so much better for this.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2017 edited

Here we go, about to upload this, I think, the final version. This is 1,000 pixels shrunk from 1,600 pixels.
      northern01b.png
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2017

Hi Jim This is a very nice map. And a really good choice of style.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2017

Gracias !

Not sure if my southern hemisphere will be changed to this or not.