Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2017

I'm currently using a very similar method to the one you've used here - solid colour with a bevel - but I'm doing it in negative. I'm putting whole blocks of colour down and dividing them vaguely into houses/terraces using bright pink lines and a Colour Key. I don't think any of the spiderweb mess I'm making will appear in the final map. I just need to get a better feel for the arrangement and scale of my own city, which I think is only going to be about 1/2 t0 2/3 the size of yours. Its too much of a mess to show it right now, but I have standard house symbols dotted around the place looking ridiculously idiosyncratic with the bevelled houses, but I need them there to keep the scale sensible.

Hats off to you for the magnificent job you are doing on this :D
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2017

Hi guys

I'll try to show you another update of the city sometimes this or next week.
    For now I can show you the shield with the banner of Vyrn. It's done completely in CC3+ with the heraldry annual and some effects.
    It will be copied over to the map once I get to do the finishing touches.
      Vyrnian Shield.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2017

Pretty good use of that annual
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2017

Thank you, Quenten.
    • CommentAuthorpixelkitteh
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2017 edited

Awesome! I just bought this annual and installed it, looking forward to making some heraldry. This looks great Hadrian!
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2017

WOWZA! When I need a large city mapped I know who I'm going to hire to do it (I just hate doing cities! LOL!). This is mind-blowing! Fantastic! Amazing job!
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2017 edited

@Pixel: Thank you.:)

@ScottA: Thank you. I am honored:) However, I would generally advise against having large cities mapped by someone else, because it takes a hell lot of time and is therefore quite expensive.

As promised, here's my update.
    I generated a ~3k jpeg file of the city, that should give a nice impression of what still needs to be done. There are just so much holes in between the houses that need to be filled.
    Also, I deleted the fields that could be seen in previous versions. I decided to do so, because they were out of proportion. I will redo them as soon as possible. As you can see, the outer city has been expanded a bit and it still needs a lot of work.

Anyway, I hope you guys like the map.
      Vyrn XI.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2017

Awesome, what else can one say
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I think I need to rethink Sanctuary after seeing this. It would currently fit in about a tenth of that size :P

Very inspiring Hadrian!
    Wooooaahhhh... This is incredible. I love <3
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2017 edited

*is humbled*

Absolutely amazing. There's a lot to like in this map, but the one thing that really sticks out for me is that we see the supports for the aquaduct via the shadow (and get a sense of it's height). That's really cool. But even cooler is how you drew the shadow across the city wall and down the slope of the land. Nice touch, that.

I eagerly look forward to the finished deal.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

A M A Z I N G
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2017

Thank you, guys. I just realized that I have not replied to your comments.
    Tremendous!

This is a ridiculously huge work of art. Kudos, HadrianVI, for having the dedication and drive to perfect this in all it's beautiful detail.

Will you be adding a key? I'd love to learn more of the city by knowing what's where...

DMG
    • CommentAuthorJensen
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2017

Oh wow, I missed that this town is ready now.

Chapeau!

That's everything I can say. Pretty awesome, all the effort, the nice colours. It's an amazing city map and also a piece of art. The only bad news for you Hadrian: Don't be surprised when in the future one of my city maps reminds you of something :-)

Thanks for sharing!
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2017

Here's a quick update on the Vyrn City map. I am currently reworking the fields, because they were too large in the previous version. Also I begun filling up the roads and alleys with additional houses. They are displayed in pink, because I have not yet moved them to the proper sheets. As you can imagine both tasks are not so spectacular and require quite a bit of patience which I often do not have for more than half an hour or an hour at a time. Therefore, the progress is pretty slow.

@DMG: Thank you for your comment and sorry for the late response. I will be adding a key. There will also at least be one version with little Icons that mark smiths, banks, inns markets ect (The icons are depicted on the image posted above, they are the small dots beneath the scale:P).

@Jensen: Thank you. It will take quite some time until the map is finished. I am not sure, if I understand the bad news.:P
      Vyrn XIIII.JPG
    This is pure awesome!

I love watching the progress of these. So impressive!!
    Cool Stuff! :-)
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2017

Thank you, trechriron and Charles.

I am experiencing some issues with the forest textures because CC3+ automatically selects the texture with the very low resolution. I therefore considered to exchange the texture with the beautiful tree symbols from Sue, but that caused major performance issues.