Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2017 edited

Hi

The gorgeous map Medio posted some time ago inspired me to give it a try with the 13th Age Style.

This is a work in progress, so it is not nearly finished.

I wasn't able to attach the map in a larger resolution. Therefore I added some screenshots of the western part.

Cheers
      world map IV.PNG
      Western Part Screenshot.png
      Northern Part Screenshot.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2017

What a great map - love the coastline. And I love that Lake District.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMedio
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2017

That´s a great coastline, Hadrian!! Congratulations and eager to watch the next steps.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMedio

The mountain ranges are also very nice. Using the Myrr Overland annual ones? They look gorgeous!
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Thank you, Quenten and Medio.

I mostly used real world maps as inspiration for the coast lines. I also tried to imagine how the fictional tectonic plates in my world would behave in order to determine the rough shape and position of the continents.

The mountains are actually the ones from 13th Age but I used the tutorial from the "shaded relief" style (from the 2008 Annual I think) in order to give them the look I wanted. I was quite frustrated with the mountains that come with the 13th Age Style at first, especially after seeing your mountains, dear Medio. And since I do not have any useful graphics software (yet), I had to find some way to make them look okay by using the means CC3 has to offer. Luckily I then stumbled over the "shaded relief" style. :)

The key was to add a lighted bevel effect to the Mountains Sheet and toy around with it. Sometimes (like in the western part) I had to draw two mountain ranges (each on a separate sheet) on top of each other in order to get the results I wanted. I then also started to use this effect, which I have never used before, for non-mountain stuff:)

Cheers
    •  
      CommentAuthorMedio

They look fantastic!
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

This is really coming along great! Your coastline really lovely. Looking forward to seeing your progress!
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Thank you:)
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2017 edited

Hi everyone,

here's an update on the World Map I started back in February in CC3 because the 13th Age style was not available in CC3+ at this time.
    Unfortunately CC3 used to crash every 5 minutes, which is why I eventually gave up on the map, when I started contributing to the Community Atlas.
    Now, I started to create the world map in CC3+. The shape of the continents is not exactly the same and I have only drawn the western continent to far.

The picture below shows the same area as the second picture posted in this thread, but the region is still far from finished.
    I focused mostly on the mountains and on the rivers that derive from the mountains. But neither the rivers nor the mountain are completely done yet.
    Also, please note that the fills are not yet optimized for an export in the resolution I used (I exported it in 4096x4096, then I've cut of the northern and southern end of the map).

Cheers,

Hadrian
      Weltkarte Hadrian V.JPG
    • CommentAuthorGathar
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2017

This one is much more crisp than the previous one, and promises to be gorgeous when it is done. Very nice work!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMedio
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2017

Such mountain ranges are even better. Congratulations and keep on the good job! :)
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2017 edited

Thank you, Gathar and Medio.
    The mountains are actually done with the same technique, they are lighted bevel Mountains. The difference between them are 6 months of practice ... and a couple more sheets :D

Cheers,

Hadrian
    Beautiful! Those mountains are to die for, and the coast is so simple yet striking. Once again an amazing map from you Hadrian! ^_^ Looking forward to seeing more.
    • CommentAuthorBarliman
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2017

I love the basic topography you've laid out, especially the region in the south with so many rivers.
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTime7 days ago

This is looking beautiful. Your rivers are perfect and I really like that ocean and landmass fill combo.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTime7 days ago edited

Thank you:)

@pixelkitteh: Thank you! I reworked the mountains in the northern part, because they were a bit too slim in some instances. The mountain range is supposed to be a natural barrier. What do you mean by "the coast is so simple"?:D

@Barliman: Thank you. I'm trying to get a realistic topography and I've spent quite some time reading up on the development of mountains and all this stuff. The mountains range here is supposed to be similar to the Himalaya and the Alps. The Sierra with the Lakes is roughly inspired by Tibet, but mine is supposed to be much lower, still allowing for large pine forests.
    The region in the South with the rivers is called Demetia. There are more small rivers (that do not originate in the mountains) to be placed in Demetia and elsewhere, but first I am going to finish all the Mountains and their rivers on the continent.

@Shessar: Thank you. For the rivers, I tried to stick to the Stralher-Number-Rule, that says: the width of the only grows, if two equally sized rivers join, but not, if a smaller river flows into a larger one. There's a forum thread on Strahler Number Rivers: http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=7116&page=1#Item_2.
    The ocean fill and the sheet effects of the landmass are the standard ones from the 13th Age drawing style, so I can't really take credit for that. The landmass fill is the Mike Schley Land fill with an "Adjust Hue/Saturation" effect to reduce the lightness.

Now, here's another update. This map covers a larger area, which is still quite empty so far, so I covered it up with parchment.:D

BTW: The fine white horizontal lines you see, are the markers for 30° and 60° degree of latitude. The fine red line almost at the bottom of the map is the equator.

Cheers

Hadrian
      Weltkarte Hadrian V Parchment.JPG
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTime5 days ago

Hi

Here's some more of my simple coastline :D
      Hadrian Worldmap North.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime5 days ago

Coastline too simple. Fractalize 666 times. Wait till Armageddon for computer to reboot!
    • CommentAuthorJensen
    • CommentTime5 days ago

Again Hadrian: Chapeau!
    The coastline is shocking great. I wanna play there!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTime4 days ago

I barely have the time to admire that coastline, let alone hope to ever create one like it myself. Amazing, as usual sir.  =O

*doffs cap*
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTime4 days ago

Also, coastline aside, the land elevations you added are stunning in their invisibility. One has to forcibly remember that a great deal of talent and work has to go into that, much like well-crafted special effects in a movie. We simply see it and it registers in our brain as "of course it looks like that, it's what I expect to see" rather than "holy crap, that looks real!"
    • CommentAuthorBarliman
    • CommentTime2 days ago

Wow. I can only dream of doing coastlines that natural-looking.
    • CommentAuthorFex
    • CommentTime1 day ago

How did you get the coasts to get the look as if its floating above the sea and how did you get the mountain to look like an actual mountain on the lower left? Whatever I try I never get them to look anything like that. I got CC3+ and annual vol6 do you have others that allow you to make such maps?