Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2016 edited

Here's a video tutorial I made for the Trace command, to help with the discussion over in this topic. It used to live over in that topic but I moved it here to help people later, who might search the forum for this kind of stuff. The video clocks in at 4:38 min, due to my just sort of winging it. :-D

Trace Command Tutorial (Video, 4:38)

I apologize for the quality, I tried to do it quickly but I hope it helps. If it does, you may be interested in some of the other video tutorials I've posted. They're higher quality, now that I got my act together.  :-))

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    • CommentAuthorTonnichiwa
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2016

Another great tutorial for a little understood command Dogtag. Thanks again. This is another one I plan on using quite a bit. In the past I stayed away from the edges of my land masses with any other fills because I didn't want to have to zoom in and follow really close with the coastline. This helps stop all that. Thank you.

By the way. Are you going to sticky these somewhere? You should.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2016 edited

That's not up to me, really, but thanks. Monsen did already sticky this one (pointing to the original location, but that now points here so it's all good). Thanks for the compliment. I'm glad you find them useful.

EDIT: Monsen has kindly added a link to all my video tutorials from the Resources sticky.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2016

If anyone wants to keep track of a thread (any thread) you can do it by clicking bookmark this discussion in the menu top left.

The friendly way to pin a great thread for yourself - like this one - within the site itself ;)

Excellent work, Dogtag :D
    Great tutorial!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2016

It took me a while to understand the Trace command. I avoided it until Ralf walked me through it at the ProFantasy booth, at GenCon, a few years back. I'm glad to have a chance to pay it forward.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMedio
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2016

Humm. I tried to do it on a detailed island and didn´t work too well, it created too few points connected with the island so the tracing was gross and didn´t really followed the coastline.

Maybe it´s due i´m using CC3 and not CC3+ (damm Annuals compatibility :( ). Will keep trying.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMedio

Oh, i just discovered one thing.

If i create an island from scratch, the trace function works perfectly.

BUT if i have edited the island (using Dogtag tutorial by the way) then it´s when the problem happens.

Do any of you know why this is happening? Looks like the edit function doesn´t change the original points of the island or something like that.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Check the lower right of CC3/CC3+ and make sure snap is off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMedio

It happens with snap on and off, unfortunatly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2016 edited

Hm. I cannot recreate this issue in, either, CC3+ or CC3. Maybe there's something about the drawing tool?

Can you start a new topic and post the FCW, Medio? Maybe someone can find something in the file itself that might be causing the trouble.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMedio
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2016

Okay, will create a new one and will ask for another question then.
    • CommentAuthorJensen
    • CommentTime5 days ago

puuuuh, finally I understood the trace command. Thx Dogtag for this tutorial. I should have seen this earlier....
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTime5 days ago

Glad it helped Jensen.  :D