iso Annual glow areas ?

I want to place a pillar/arch way on one of my Iso dungeon rooms for my Arcology.

When I try to place a multipoly, its looks wrong, very wrong.

before and after pngs. I know I added a bitmap fill using Perspectives, but this is Annual 66, Isometric Dungeons.

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    I'm confused. What does the multipoly have to do with the arch symbol?
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hmm. Me too.

Going by the title of your thread, Jim, is it that you want to use the polygon to make a glow in the archway?
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited August 2016
    I want to make a glow multipoly that looks like it belongs to the Iso arch, instead of being clumsily pasted on as an after thought as it looks now.

So it looks like a ghost or a dimension gate kinda thingie.
    I meant, why a multipoly rather than just a polygon?

Heck, depending on the effect you use, you might even be able to just use a 0-width path.
    edited August 2016
    What about something like this? I did this in CC3, using CA66 (Isometric Dungeons). I added a sheet for the glowing magical energy field, then I created it with a normal polygon (note, not a "regular" polygon, as the mathematicians might say). The sheet has a Transparency, Blur, and Glow affect. I set the glow properties to use a lighter tint of the poly color.

(Click an image for a high-resolution version)

imageimage

I've attached the FCW as well. Not sure if this is the sort of thing you're after but I hope it helps.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag

Note: The attached CC3 file uses templates and symbols from Cartographer's Annual Issue #66. If you open the file in CC3+ or if you do not have that issue of the annual, the map will not display properly for you. However, the glow is just made with the Polygon tool so you can still see it and the layers, sheets, and effects I used.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited August 2016
    Thats exactly, except for the color, I am looking for. I'll look over the fcw and see what I can do. I have Gates/Portals all over my game world. Back when I was running game sessions, my home players wouldn't go anywhere near them. The store player characters jumped in, and got lost... I let the players have their characters back, but they didn't learn. Some of the Gates/Portals have keys and go to certain other locations. But... well, randomly jumping into a Gate/Portal is not safe for player characters.

Other games I've played, The Fantasy Trip for instance, has lots and lots of Gates/Portals.

Oh, I'm making maps for Tunnels and Trolls and TFT to. Not much there yet.
    The key was faking perspective when drawing the polygon. I started in the "middle" of the arch's depth, on the left. Then, I followed along the outline of the arch on the top and right but I stopped short, before the bottom of the arch symbol, so it would appear to stop at the ground but at the center of the arch's depth on the right.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag