Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorDkarr
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2016

Posted By: DogtagInteresting. I hadn't thought of this before you threw those miniatures in your PER map Dkarr, but Character Artist could be extremely useful in that regard! Woot! We could make "symbols" from CA characters.

You sure can. That would be another very interesting use.
    • CommentAuthorGathar

Hello,

On the description of perspective 3, it says: "More than 800 color bitmap symbols in 2 different styles".
    I think that usually symbols come in fixed/varicolor variants, so to get the number of symbols that represent different things, I usually mentally divide by 2 this amount. But it also says "Each symbol comes in 8 or 4 different isometric views". Does it mean I also have to divide this figure by 4 (or 8) to get this number?

Thank you!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

A quick count gave me ~850 different collection of symbols. In per 3, most collections hold the 4/8 variants used. Also note that not all collections have varicolor equivalents, and some collections actually contains various symbols instead of directional.
    • CommentAuthorGathar

Ok, thank you for this info. I'm going to break open the piggy bank :)
    • CommentAuthorDkarr

More iso symbol work continues.
      stairwells_circular.png
    • CommentAuthorDkarr

More creatures.
      Displacer_ISO.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2016

Wonderful stuff guys. Here's a quick intro on how to do wall-shearing symbols, using DKarr's airlock image.

- take your bitmap you want to make into a wall-shearing symbol and save it as a PNG somewhere in the Symbols subfolder (I'm using the User subfolder).
    - Open CC3+
    - Create a new perspective map from the Bitmap A style. Set the size to 100 x 100, click next, disable the background and add a 5' isometric grid.
    - Click Finished and save.

- Set the currrent layer to SYMBOL DEFITION and the sheet to "Common".
    - Choose Symbols > Import pngs...
    - browser to your airlock PNG and open it
    - For Shessar's sample, I'll choose a resolution of 100 pixel to the foot (making the airlock 9 feet wide)
    - Set the "Create other resolutions" option, Files are "Very high" and set the Symbol Origin to "Center/Down".
    - Click OK, wait until the import process is done and click Ok again.

- Open the Symbol Manager
    - Delete the two template symbols (map title and copyright notice)
    - "Edit" the new airlock symbol
    - Set the color to red (3) - that's just a convention - and choose Symbols > Add Control Points
    - Set the first point for the Control Point at point 0,0 (the middle bottom of the symbol)
    - Click for the the second point a little distance directly to the right, e.g. at 5,0. The exact distance doesn't matter, but it needs to be a horizontal line.
    - for the CP effects set "Align on Insertion" and "Keep DynTrack Scale" - all other options should be unchecked.
    - Close the editing window and select to Save the changes.

- Open the Symbol Manager, select the symbol and choose "Options"
    - check "Perspectives wall symbol (sheared)" from the General Options and set the symbol to automatically select the "SYMBOLS WALLS*" sheet.
    - Save the drawing as a Symbol Catalog.

Open another Perspectives map and load the new catalog into the catalog window. Your airlock should now work as a shearing wall symbol.
      Shearing Airlock.jpg
    • CommentAuthorDkarr
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2016 edited

Ralf that is awesome.

Wall shearing is another fantastic tool. It works great and is rather simple as it eliminates the need to use image editing software to align the symbols to the grid. For symbols that will be used along walls, it saves the user incredible amounts of time.

For me, the image editing has only come in handy for symbols that will "lay on the floor" such as the stairwells above. Those required some manipulation on image editing to give them "thickness".

One useful shortcut that can be taken for those is to use the native capabilities of Perpectives 3 to automatically align fills to the grid. Use the flat symbol image as a fill. Assign it to a floor tool. Place the fill as if it was a floor. That will automatically align it on the floor sides without having to resort to distorting the image.

Then you can extract that image to the image editor. It will already be properly aligned in one of the isometric cardinal directions. That would save lots of time with the distortion, which is what becomes very time consuming and somewhat inaccurate. Then you can add "thickness" to the image on the image editor.
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2016

@Dkarr, wonderful stairs and figures! I like Dogtag's idea of using Character Artist images as well.

@Ralf, Thank you for the instructions! I am working on a couple of sets of wall symbols (doors, windows, tapestries, pictures, etc) and while I had figured out how to make the shearing symbols, having some of the standard conventions detailed is quite helpful.
    • CommentAuthorDkarr
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2016

@Shessar, thanks. I really like @Dogtag's idea also.
    • CommentAuthorShessar

I have my first set of wall shearing symbols done. I'll release them once I have everything finished. These are the doors. I'm also working on windows and wall art (framed pictures, tapestries, etc)
      Per3 Doors.PNG
    • CommentAuthorTonnichiwa

Wow! Very impressive! Are you making these on a tablet? And which program are you using?
    • CommentAuthorDkarr

@Shessar, those look awesome. That is the kind of work that I can't really reproduce. I'm more of a stick figure kind or artist.
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2016 edited

@Dkarr& tonnichiwa, Thanks for the compliments, but in this case I can only claim partial credit. I am using pre-sets from the Genetica software package. I'm using this project as a way to expand my knowledge of the software, so even when I'm only modifying a pre-set, it is helping to expand my understanding. I've had the software for a while, but until now I've only used it to generate new textures. This is my first foray into combining textures with sketches.

I'm not using a digital tablet for this since my ancient dinosaur of a tablet has finally reached its end. I've asked for a new one for my birthday, but that is still 7 months away. So I'm doing it the tedious mousey way. Heh.
    • CommentAuthorAEIOU

Stunning work. It's amazing to see what is possible.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Those look very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOldGuy

Fantastic doors. Can't wait to see the windows and other decorations.
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2016 edited

My bitmap fills, my doors, my wall art, combined with ProFantasy's amazing isometric symbols = Really cool tomb.
      Tomb Art.png
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2016

Wow, that's really impressive! I guess buying perspectives way back when paid off for you. I KNEW I should have been learning it all along! Great job on this Shessar. Any chance you could do a tutorial on how you put in your own artwork to get an effect like this? Or is the "how to do" written in the tome of ultimate mapping?
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Wowsers !
    • CommentAuthorBarliman

Holy smokes, Shessar, that is great!
    • CommentAuthorDkarr
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2016 edited

Posted By: IthrilI can't seem to access the zipfile you made. I get the following popup error report "F39MnpSr.zip.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.

Try again later, or contact the server administrator."

Thank you

I don't know what could be happening. When I click on the link to the file the normal save dialog opens up. I cannot tell what might be happening with your download. Are you using some form of download manager for web files?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2016

Posted By: tonnichiwaWow, that's really impressive! I guess buying perspectives way back when paid off for you. I KNEW I should have been learning it all along! Great job on this Shessar. Any chance you could do a tutorial on how you put in your own artwork to get an effect like this? Or is the "how to do" written in the tome of ultimate mapping?

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I'm really just trying to show off what the Perspectives 3 add on is capable of and how some of it can be easily customized. To me, the real beauty is in the ProFantasy symbols. That level of art is far, far beyond my skills. :)

@tonnichiwa, Adding your own fill styles is the same as it is in CC3, that is, through either Tools>Import Bitmap Fill styles to import an entire directory of art, or to add new fills one at a time, through the Fill Style Properties dialog using the New & Find Buttons. (New Creates a new Fill style name, Find locates the file on your hard drive.) The new fills will show up on the advanced screen of the Perspectives Settings.

For adding Shearing Wall Symbols, see Ralf's post earlier on this page.

Hope that explains it enough.
    Thank you Shessar, that explains it perfectly. I haven't ever messed around with adding fill styles from an outside source so this is all new to me. But I just love what you've done with the graphics that created the picture of the Egyptian painting on the wall so now I just have to try it because I might be able to create an entire Egyptian city. Thanks for answering my question :)
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Posted By: tonnichiwaThank you Shessar, that explains it perfectly. I haven't ever messed around with adding fill styles from an outside source so this is all new to me. But I just love what you've done with the graphics that created the picture of the Egyptian painting on the wall so now I just have to try it because I might be able to create an entire Egyptian city. Thanks for answering my question :)

Great! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

If you need more detailed help, just give a shout. I'll be happy to answer any questions that come up. :D
    Shessar, that rendering is really fantastic!
    Well, I do have one question, which version of genetica did you buy? the full package is just SOOO expensive that I'm hoping I don't have to get that. From what I can see I don't really need a lot of the functionality of the more expensive versions of that...or do I?
    • CommentAuthorShessar

You only need the Basic version. The others are more for 3D and 3D texture rendering.
    Very cool, Thanks Shessar! :)
    • CommentAuthorShessar

You are quite welcome! Also, I highly recommend watching the tutorial videos. Genetica does thing very different from typical art software, but once you get it figured out, it is pretty simple.
    Ok, Thank you Shessar. I just bought the basic version. I was lucky enough to come across a bunch of Japanese prints too by Hokusai, Hiroshige, Eishi, utamaro, and a bunch of other artists. So if I can figure out how to make Japanese style castles I will put those on the inside screens of the castles.
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2016

I'm in the process of putting the finishing touches on the windows. Here's a sneak peek.

I'm still working on the wall art and still learning the software as I go. I'm also taking the time to make sure everything I'll be using for art is free to share and to use. Many museums have collections that meet these requirements, but looking for art that is appropriate for the fantasy genre takes time. I may release the doors and windows first, then the art later.

I just thought I'd give an update in case anyone is waiting for this.
      Test Windows.PNG
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Wow !
    •  
      CommentAuthorOldGuy

I think it's time to put Shessar on the PF payroll!

These are beautiful.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

OMG gorgeous!! I just purchased it last week and have begun playing around.....i'll actually READ the manual this weekend :)
    • CommentAuthorpvernon

Well done, very well done!
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2016 edited

Here's a little scene that I did to test viability of creating streets and yards for houses. I used the Herwin Weilink style for this and the ship is from the Herwin Weilink overland style. I made it in about ten minutes.
      3d try.PNG
    • CommentAuthorDkarr
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2016

Posted By: tonnichiwaHere's a little scene that I did to test viability of creating streets and yards for houses. I used the Herwin Weilink style for this and the ship is from the Herwin Weilink overland style. I made it in about ten minutes.
      3d try.PNG

Very cool.

Love the mixed use of symbols.
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2016

That is really cool tonnichiwa! I
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

Agreed, very cool.

But shouldn't the roof on the house be shaded on the far side? I'm not knocking your work, tonnichiwa, I'm wondering if that's a bug.

Btw, I really like how you used the bridge as a pier.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I've released the doors and windows in my Art Assets thread. It's HERE in case you've missed it.

Posted By: OldGuyI think it's time to put Shessar on the PF payroll!

Eek! No! I work for free. Always! No time tables. No commitment. Only the joy of creating and sharing. :-D
    @Dkarr: Thank you. I figured since I was using Herwin Weilink's style in perspectives that his ship would go well with the art style. I think it did, though with adding my own roof bitmap to the house, that kind of broke that aesthetic. I will have to be more conscious of that going forward.

@Shessar: Thanks. I'm actually planning on learning to do whole cities with this. One of the things that is making me have a hard time with this is trying to draw and extrude my own houses. I want to be able to make the houses roofs look a little different. And I want to make things like buttresses that can go on the sides of buildings, so maybe we could draw a cathedral or a Japanese castle or something like that. But I think to do it would require us to figure out what shapes to draw, then turn them into individual 3d extruded pieces. That is why I haven't really been posting much. I've been working on that instead of dungeons.

@Dogtag: Thanks. You know, I'm not really sure about how shadows are supposed to occur with houses in this new program. I'm thinking we are probably going to be left to put them in ourselves because I think it would be too hard for them to shadow something that can change shape so easily compared to the symbols that they usually put shadows on and only change scale, not shape.

I'm glad you like the bridge idea. I was making rivers the other day and made one too large, put a bridge on it, and it stuck out like a pier so I left it. Now it will become part of how I make maps if I need a bridge. I also tried with the wooden sqares that have no rails. Those are great for making wide piers and things like that. But because it is perspective, you have to build it from top down if you want it to look right. sometimes, that can mean trying to guess where to put the pieces. It makes for great fun if you like doing puzzles :P
    Well, I've been having a bit of trouble with the explanation on how to create a wall shearing symbol. I don't seem to be able to get it to work, even though I wrote down the directions and followed them word for word. Though I do admit, where it says " Check 'Perspectives Wall Symbol (Sheared)' from the General Options and set the symbol to automatically select the 'Symbols Walls* sheet.' it gets a little bit hard as there is no box to check that says it will set the symbol walls* sheet to be automatically selected...Or are you talking about writing that in the area called " Force Sheet" ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2016

Posted By: tonnichiwaOr are you talking about writing that in the area called " Force Sheet" ?
    Yes, that is how you set a symbol to automatically select a sheet.
    Hmm, It still doesn't work. I wonder what I am doing wrong?

Here's the FCW if you want to look it over. Note that the wall that has the flat Egyptian symbol is the wall I am trying to get it to shear to but it just stays flat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2016

Unfortunately, I can't see the imagery, since I don't have the artwork you have used.

But if you are talking about the big 'Egyptian wall' symbol, there is really nothing Perspective about it at all. It doesn't have the symbol options set, the origin of the symbol is wrong (It is set to middle left), and it doesn't have control points at all.

Note that if you are editing these things in a symbol catalog, you must purge the symbol definition from the map before using a new version, as if a symbol already exists in a map, CC3 will use the symbol definition already in the map, so edits in a symbol catalog won't be taken into account. To purge a symbol definition from a map, simply open up the symbol manager and delete the symbol.
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2016

Yup. I was talking about the egyptian symbol. It is weird that it isn't a perspective wall shearing symbol as I followed your instructions to the letter on this. I guess I'll have to get a new image of this and try again. Thank you.
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2016

I haven't had much time to play lately, but I've been experimenting with making curtains. I've now looked at this long enough that I can no longer tell if it looks right. I need your eyes to tell me if anything looks 'wrong'. Thanks!
      Test Curtains.png

Nice work, It looks fine to me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorVintyri

I'd use it.