The Manticore's Tale (Tavern) - Renovations complete!

Gday everyone. All good adventures start off in a pub. So here is one. I made one a couple of years ago but now that I've learned a bit more I thought I would have another crack. The symbols are a mixture of DD3 and SS4. I have attached the FCW's if anybody wants them. I did resize some of the textures for the bar and window sills and maybe a couple of other surfaces so they may appear as red crosses, but if you select them and change them to another texture you should be able to use the map ok if you have the SS4 symbol set.

Cheers
Mappy.

EDIT:

After Oldguy's very correct suggestion about the lack of toilet facilities (see post below), the builders and plumbers have been hard at work and have just completed a very welcome renovation. I have updated these maps and the FCW's. I will also put the PDFs here if anybody wants some good high resolution pictures without having to muck around the FCW's.

EDIT 2:

I have just finished a basement and attached to this post. Have also included the FCW and updated the PDF in the link above

Cheers
Mappy

[Image_4496]

[Image_4497]

[Image_4499]

Keywords: (Might start adding these to make searches a bit easier) Tavern, Inn, Pub, Battlemap, D&D, Dungeon, Dragons, 5th Edition.

Comments

• I can't tell you how much I love this map. Absolutely fantastic.

Thanks for sharing!

One observation. In the two large bedrooms you included private latrines which I think is a nice touch. It might be nice to have one or two public ones as well.

Alternatively, some bed pans in evidence in the smaller rooms and an outhouse outside for bar guests would work as well.

Please read this merely as a suggestion and not a criticism. As it is, this the the best map I have seen in a long time and will certainly use it in my own game. : )
  • I really like this map! Thanks for sharing, I'll definitely be using this for one of my games :)
  • ClerconClercon Betatester Traveler
  • KenGKenG Traveler
    Love the map!! Great feel.
  • Thanks guys. Oldguy, that was a good suggestion about the lack of latrines. I have just updated the pics and FCW's in the original post with some renovations :)
  • Fantastic map. Consider this stol... er... "adapted" for my home campaign. :)

My one suggestion would be for a basement level, where the innkeeper stores goods and brews his beer. And maybe has a hidden secret or two. :)

Great work.
  • 1 month later
  • Very nice work on the basement! One question: how does one get into the private meeting room? I see a small symbol on the wall -- does this indicate a secret door?
  • Gday. After Barliman's suggestion for a basement I did a bit of thinking and button mashing and came up with a basement with secret room included at no extra cost :)

I have updated the first post to include the new map and updated the PDF too.

So I figure the owner of the Manticore's Tail is a retired adventurer and the secret room has some of his (or her) stuff stashed away. Perhaps they are now in some sort of secret committee or group that has clandestine meetings below the tavern to set right the wrongs of the world. Or maybe they meet there to play cards...

I played around for ages trying to get that "set into the ground look" of the basement and used the cut away floor of the common room to create that sense of depth. Did the best I could do but if anybody has a clever, more effective idea please have a go yourselves and post the results. I'm sure it could be better, but I'm just not sure how.
  • edited August 2015
    Posted By: BarlimanVery nice work on the basement! One question: how does one get into the private meeting room? I see a small symbol on the wall -- does this indicate a secret door?
    Ah That was my attempt at a hinge or sort of a vertical axle for a section of wall to pivot around :) I figure there will be something cunning on those shelves that has to be pulled or pushed and that section of wall and shelves will swing around and rest against the north wall of the secret room.
  • Ohhhh! D'oh! I should have seen that. Beautiful work on that room, btw. Perfect for a secret order or cell. :)
  • This is some flat out beautiful work, Mappy! I really like the cutaway bit you did for to reveal the basement, that's a nice touch. I'm curious if the floor of the basement is a SS4 fill style-- I really like that irregular looking stone, and if so, I might add that to my must-buy's at Gen Con.
  • Posted By: ArgoForgThis is some flat out beautiful work, Mappy! I really like the cutaway bit you did for to reveal the basement, that's a nice touch. I'm curious if the floor of the basement is a SS4 fill style-- I really like that irregular looking stone, and if so, I might add that to my must-buy's at Gen Con.
    Yep the stone floor comes from SS4. It's a great pack with heaps of amazing symbols and textures. Nearly all the symbols and fill styles from these maps were made with SS4 so I certainly recommend it!
  • What are the settings for the outer walls? I opened the FCW but having trouble selecting just them to figure it out. My walls don't look nearly as nice as yours.
  • Posted By: kylaniaWhat are the settings for the outer walls? I opened the FCW but having trouble selecting just them to figure it out. My walls don't look nearly as nice as yours.
    There are two different sheets for the basement walls: "basement walls" and "basement corners". If you hide all the other sheets, they should be easier to select. There are a few effects going on, so check out what effects I used too.
    The woodern walls on the outside of the tavern are on the WALLS sheet I think, so if you make that one visible, you will be able to see what I've got going on with them too; if the're the walls you were meaning.
  • edited August 2015
    Indeed, thanks! Walls look so much better now for me.

Here's the Walls Effects settings:
    Adjust Hue/Sat: 0, 0, -20
    Bevel: 0.3, 30, 50
    Glow: Outside, 0 0 0, 30, 0.5
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited August 2016
    Absolutely gorgeous! So many things to gush about, but I'm a sucker for little details. The hinge/pivot in the wall for the secret door is a nice touch but I especially like the scuff marks on the floor where the door swings open! Holy cow, that looks awesome.

I wish I could provide some kind of constructive criticism to help you out, but I find all I can contribute right now is unabashed adoration. And gratitude! Thank you for sharing your source files so we can learn from your work.

Cheers!
    ~Dogtag
  • "... I especially like the scuff marks on the floor where the door swings open!"

Just noticed that yesterday. Very nice touch.
  • pvernonpvernon Betatester 🖼️ 34 images Traveler
    Mappy I like your drawing style. Looks very nice. But..... you knew there was a but. On the first floor there is a stove and a fire place on the other side of the wall from it. On the second floor there is no chimney. I think that the fire Marshal would be interested. Also under them in the basement there could be an ash pit.
  • Hah! The stovepipe would come up through one bedroom's privy. The owner should charge extra for the "heated garderobe." :)
  • edited August 2015
    Posted By: pvernonMappy I like your drawing style. Looks very nice. But..... you knew there was a but. On the first floor there is a stove and a fire place on the other side of the wall from it. On the second floor there is no chimney. I think that the fire Marshal would be interested. Also under them in the basement there could be an ash pit.
    Hehheh good spotting. Believe it or not, towards the end of making this I did think of that, but too late; the toilet was in and I had already spent waaaay too much time tinkering with the maps. Contemplated having a little chimney poking out the side of the building but then I remembered a chimney was not even necessary!

Yes you read that correctly. You see the owner is a retired adventurer. Towards the end of their career, whilst pillaging an ancient tomb, a couple of small orbs were discovered. Upon closer inspection they were identified as orbs of ummm err Orbs of Smokeless Night! Yeah that's it, Orbs of Smokeless Night. Their magical properties included the ability to negate smoke created by any sort of camp or cooking fire. So upon construction of the tavern, the orbs were set into the bottom of the fireplace and oven, thus eliminating the need for a chimney.

Magic Orbs eh, they are the answer to everything :)
  • edited August 2015
    Hi Mappy,
    Very cool maps. I only have one suggestion. This is for the ground floor mostly, but also a few spots on the second floor like the restrooms. You have a bunch of different lighting sources which you were keen to adjust the direction of any given shadow, however, in reality, the shadows would not all be the same size and in some cases may even overlap slightly. This is not to mention some shadows do not appear to have a clear source because of their direction and length. Nit picky? Yeah, but you have gone through the trouble of all that other detail, I thought I would mention it. Great work!
    JSM
  • Hmmm... I can't seem to view these properly in CC3+ - I have DD3+ and SS4+ but this is what the files open as:

Any ideas as to what's happening?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    You need to turn on the effects.
  • Ahhhh, ok. Thanks. That works. Any reason why it's like that without effects on? Or is that just due to how it was created?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    It is just the way the map is created. Mappy uses various polygons that needs effects on to become partially transparent to produce the effects final map.
  • Thanks for clearing that up. I was a bit worried there was something wrong at my end. :)
  • 1 year later
  • I just downloaded the viewer and when I click toggle effects it still looks off. Can someone help me pls? I would love to use this map as it is exactly what I need. Thanks in advance.