Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorModric
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2013

This map is really excellent. I like the black background with white lettering.
    Update. I did a lot of work on it, but it is not that easy to see great improvement =).

What is left to do? Propably only show the divisions of the regions, but even it may be too much. It has already a lot of information. Suggestions?
    EDIT: Old Post
    This map gets every time more fantastic!
    Sometimes I make a copy of the polygons instead of using the trace command, then I edit the copies carefully placed on a single WORK sheet, all other sheets hidden. Explode them to remove unwanterd parts, make polygons again. When done, I move them back to the sheet they belong to.
    Granted, you still have a lot of work to do...
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2013

I agree with Joachim, this map keeps getting better with each addition. Beautiful!!!

There is one thing that bothers me a bit. I like the ocean currents very much, but they distract my eye away from the continents. If they are on their own sheet, you might try giving them a slight transparency, or maybe just make them a light grey color so that they can be seen, but are no so prominent.
    Posted By: ShessarI agree with Joachim, this map keeps getting better with each addition. Beautiful!!!

There is one thing that bothers me a bit. I like the ocean currents very much, but they distract my eye away from the continents. If they are on their own sheet, you might try giving them a slight transparency, or maybe just make them a light grey color so that they can be seen, but are no so prominent.

I have tryed transparence and it did not worked well. I will give a try to grey and see how it tunrs out. Thank you.
    Posted By: Joachim de RavenbelThis map gets every time more fantastic!
    Sometimes I make a copy of the polygons instead of using the trace command, then I edit the copies carefully placed on a singleWORKsheet, all other sheets hidden. Explode them to remove unwanterd parts, make polygons again. When done, I move them back to the sheet they belong to.
    Granted, you still have a lot of work to do...

Yes, I have =). When doing the borders I am also puting more details or enhancing the rivers, vegetaion, ect. So it is a slow work.
    Some more advance.

Full resolution here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37717003/REINOS%20IMORTAIS%20-%20EURION%20-%2035%20000%20X%2017%20500%202.1.PNG
      a.jpg
    • CommentAuthorMoskva
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2013

The borders reallly add to the map. The white border is a bit unclear I think. Btw if you're doing borders, lay down all the borders first and decide on the colors after, this saves a lot of time.
    Yes, I am not happy with the colours, but I will first finish it and them toy with the colours =).
    • CommentAuthorMoskva
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2013

I used these colors for my last map (fantasy worlds style though)

54-152-135-182-15-166-232-33-(96)
    • CommentAuthorHenrie61
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2013

This map is getter better every time I see it.
    A lot more work done. To see it proporly go to the bigger image in the link bellow. I am still playing with colours for the contorus, but the cultural boundaries are getting done;

EDIT: Old version
    More work done. Here I show a version if the cultural borders proeminent. The final effect and the colours are still a work in progress.

Hieher resolution here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37717003/REINOS%20IMORTAIS%20-%20EURION%20-%2035%20000%20X%2017%20500%202.1.PNG
      A.jpg
    • CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2013

That looks really good. I like the colors, but I especially like how some places are a different color than I'd expect, such as the blue islands off the west-northwest edge of Ennan.

Bravo on this massive project.
    ~Dogtag
    Thank you. It is a very slow work... I plan to do two versions. One with the cultural borders and one without it.
    God, what a lovely map. I think I can see the GURPS GM shining through. Great attention to detail. Love the font, too. Can you share the name?

For the final effects I would suggest some generous Edge Fade, Inner to let the vegetation shine through better, but you probably have planned something for that already.
    The fonts are RENNY HYBRID and RURITANIA. My first intention to the map was to only trace the frontiers, but after a lot of tryes I gave it up. I will do a version without the frontiers and another in the style above. Only the colours I am still testing. The ones that are on the map were choosen only for better visualization.
    I am trying to finish this project! Here is some work that I was able to do.

WITHOUT Cultural Borders: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37717003/REINOS%20IMORTAIS%20-%20EURION%20-%2035%20000%20X%2017%20500%202.42%20A.PNG
    WITH Cultural Borders: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37717003/REINOS%20IMORTAIS%20-%20EURION%20-%2035%20000%20X%2017%20500%202.42%20B.PNG
      A.jpg
      B.jpg
    • CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2013

Wow.
    • CommentAuthorLeviathus
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2013

Fantastic!
    Speechless...
    Can't even decide which one is the most extraordinaire!
    The borders look fine for you guys? I am really struggling with myself to come with a good effect and a good colour selection for tehm. My best solution is to made two versions. One with out borders and one with the borders well marked.

Oh, ..., and the final three continental regions are giving me headaches... The fractal is not very well done there and is almost impossible to trace it... Even after trying to remove nodes and delete some by hand...
    • CommentAuthorDkarr
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2013 edited

First of all let me say that I'm totally floored by this map. This is simply a thing of beauty. The black color for the water is initially jarring, but it contrasts so well with the landscape that it looks totally awesome. I love the use of color to denote the elevations and it gives the map a sense of veracity. Almost as if this was being taken from orbit and being parsed on a "radar" monitor.

The lettering is very impressive. The majestic lettering for the title, and the almost subdued and simple lettering for locations makes it very interesting. It gives the map a "let's go explore here" kind of tone that really grabs me.

Your use of arrow lines for the currents is very good, and something not usually seen in maps, so it is a very welcome addition. It reminds me of maps from National Geographic showing our world's ocean currents. The only thing I'd suggest here is to separate the lines a bit more so the map does not look as crowded and the arrows don't "seem" to end point to tail. Specially in areas where the water currents would cross narrow straits. Look at this one to see what I mean. http://education.nationalgeographic.com/media/photos/000/303/30302.jpg

The "political" borders are as impressive as the rest of the map. I really like the contrast in most of your "countries". The only ones that seem to draw me out of the map are the colors used for Svidne and Vizapur. The colors are very similar. They make me unsure if they represent the same color though there seems to be a slight difference between them. If they are meant to be the same color then no harm, no foul. But if they are supposed to be different they seem too alike in tone. Change one or the other for contrast.

Very well done. This map makes me want to go explore the lands.
    I am really happy with all your comments Dkarr. The colours of Svidne and Vizapur are the same. As easch continent finished haviong 6 cultural regions each, I decided to use only 6 colours to the hole thing. When trying to use one colour for each region I came out with not very good results.

I see your point about the arrows used for the currents. I will se if I can change it without much trouble. If it is easy I will improve it, if not, I will maintain as I was considering it a finished feature of the map.
    • CommentAuthorDkarr
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2013 edited

Posted By: Mateus090985I am really happy with all your comments Dkarr. The colours of Svidne and Vizapur are the same. As easch continent finished haviong 6 cultural regions each, I decided to use only 6 colours to the hole thing. When trying to use one colour for each region I came out with not very good results.

I see your point about the arrows used for the currents. I will se if I can change it without much trouble. If it is easy I will improve it, if not, I will maintain as I was considering it a finished feature of the map.

Please don't make any changes on my account. Like I said, I think this map is beautiful. If any of the rework is even remotely trouble leave it as is. I think this is a magnificent example of what can be done with CC3.

Kudos, very well done!

P.S. I just remembered something that I would add is a scale bar of some sort. I know you have the base circumference on the legend but a scale bar would give a sense of, well... scale.