Angali - City using Vector Style

My poor old laptop, with only 1 gig of RAM and only basic graphics rendering, has a tough time with CD3 so I decided to use the CC2 Pro Style vector symbols for this map. I did use effects including Texturize for the background so it's not just vector graphics. As always, input and suggestions are welcomed.

Comments

• Nothing to suggest -- it looks very nice!
  • The style is well suited and the design is great.
    I'd try to add the Texturize to the escarpements and the boulders...
    Your city seems to have reached it's maximum size as the room for expansion looks sparse. What will the citizen do ? Expand left or colonize the slopes ? You could perhaps hint at the latter by starting a road/path going up and cutting the mountain.
    Again great design, and your map exalts an atmosphere of mystery and adventure. What are the colorful symbols bottom right ? Tents ? Trees ? They cry for a map key!

JdR
  • Thanks Joachim! You've given some excellent advice. Now that you mention it, the escarpments and rocks do need texture and will be fixed. I knew there was something not quite right with this, glad you put my finger on it. :)

Obviously, I had not considered how/where the city might expand over time. In this case, I probably won't since it is a city designed around a geopolitical adventure, rather than the adventure being designed around the city. It is the machinations, negotiations, and backstabbing that goes on inside the buildings that will drive the plot. However, this is something I'll keep in mind in future maps. Great advice!

The colorful symbols? Tents. A spice market. Or so it seems. I have the key in my DM notes. The players will scribble on the map printout and create their own key as the game progresses. ;)
  • edited July 2012
    Glad I could help.

You realise of course that I WILL have to steal your layout ;)
    Posted By: ShessarThe players will scribble on the map printout and create their own key as the game progresses. ;)
    Vandals !

JdR
  • jaerdaphjaerdaph Traveler
    Excellent map, Gerri!
  • Great City Design Shessar. I really like how the city is split up and the fact that you used the environment around it. The Ridge is pretty cool. A good city I wouldn't mind visiting! Keep up the good work!
  • Thanks for the compliments everyone!
    Posted By: Joachim de Ravenbel

You realise of course that I WILL have to steal your layout ;)
    But of course. I've gleaned many a design idea from other's shared maps. Share and share alike, right?
    Posted By: Joachim de Ravenbel
    Posted By: ShessarThe players will scribble on the map printout and create their own key as the game progresses. ;)
    Vandals !
    You should have seen my face the first time they started writing on my map. Hehehe.
  • how did you do the grassy hills in the top left? did you have to individually draw the lines or is there an easier way to get that effect? I might have to steal that technique for my next city map.
  • edited July 2012
    Posted By: anomiecoalitionhow did you do the grassy hills in the top left? did you have to individually draw the lines or is there an easier way to get that effect? I might have to steal that technique for my next city map.
    I used the escarpment command [ESC]. From the menus it is Draw>Symbols Along

The symbol catalog is CC3/Symbols/Maps/Other/Escarpment.FSC
    The actual symbol used from that catalog is "esc line endpoint"
    The settings may seem a bit confusing at first, but if you read the help file and play around a bit, it will make sense.

My settings were:
    ESC.png 20.9K
  • I just noticed -- there's what looks like a mine in the hills on the upper left? You could use a path from it leading down to the homes below, perhaps a shanty town for the miners.