Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    Awesome!
    And the field look better, sure:)
    Any idea of scale ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009

Toning down the fields made the map look much better. They no longer look as dominant.

So, what's the Story about Rusthaven, given that it has been placed on the map 4 times?
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf

Scale: yes I have an idea about scale. But mostly in travelling days, so I won't be adding a scale bar.

Rusthaven isn't actually a town. It's Dutch for "reststop". They are groups of cabins that can be used to shelter in when travelling through that particular pass. They are about a day's travel apart. I might have to change their symbol, so they don't look like towns.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Ahh. I see. Probably easier to understand this for someone who actually speaks the language :)
    Looking back on your previous versions of the map, I see it was actually named "Rest Stop" there, which explains why I didn't notice any strangeness before.
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2009 edited

I am still plugging away at this map... next WIP. Can't seem to stop :-(
      verena_region_profantasy27.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorbearclaw
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2009

It just keeps going and going and going...
    • CommentAuthorjaerdaph
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2009

That is cool!
    Which of those watercourses is supposed to be the effluence for Het Meer? None of them look big enough. Since it's supposed to be a fresh water lake, it has to have an effluence of some sort (though it could be magical, I suppose). If evaporation is the only way for water to escape the lake, then the salinity will rise over time since evaporation leaves dissolved solids behind.
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2009

All lakes are temporary as they fill up with sediments or they will grow and spill out of the basin in which they are held. This process can take many millions of years though. This lake is certainly doomed to die as well. It's slowly getting larger and in the summer large parts of the lower lands to the south are flooded. Eventually the whole Valley will be filled with water. This process for this lake is very slow though, as the intake is almost balanced with the water going out through evaporation and seepage. Salinity is certainly rising as well.

Not all lakes have visible outlets. Water can drain through the soil to the ocean or there could be underground caves draining the water.

Anyway, although I have made sure a lake like this could be realistically possible, this is a fantasy map. The joy of fantasy being I can afford to twist reality a bit :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2009

Gandwarf, I am always stunned by the beauty of your maps. For this map, I especially like the way you grouped the different settlement symbols to create larger settlements. It gives the cities a real old-world map feel. Also, a nice choice of subtle color variations in the grasslands.

Just beautiful.
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2009

Well, most of the work is done... now I am tired :P

Bigger version: http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/3418/thevalleylarge2.jpg
    (saved in reduced quality)
      thevalley_profantasy1.jpg
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2009 edited

I decided I am done with this map for now. This weekend I had it printed poster size (90x60 cm) through http://www.posterjack.nl. Thanks Ralf for posting that link some time ago! The poster turned out beautiful. I now have a huge paper map of my world :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2009

Nice.

Your map turned out very nice, so I can imagine the poster did too.
    Hello, Your map is beautiful. I wanted to say that first.

I'm a very new user of CC3 and am trying to learn how to use it properly.

I'm working on my first map with CC3 and was wondering, would you mind telling me how you placed some of your cities inside what appears to be walls? I would love to be able to do that effect on my maps.

Also, what draw tool did you use when drawing your farm tiles? I tried the sketch tool and the results weren't very good.

Anyway, I love your map and hope to present to the community a nice one of my own soon.

Thanks again,
    Steve
    • CommentAuthorDavaris
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2009

Gandwarf, as usual your work is very inspiring. Honestly I'd be surprised if one day, I didn't see your work appearing in a series of novels, pen and paper games, or computer games.
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2009

Darthgaiden: as soon as I can get access to the computer that has CC3 installed on it, I will certainly give you some pointers on how I did stuff in this map. Unfortunately my wife has been hoarding that particular computer to play the Sims 3 this weekend :-)
    The farms are some custom drawing tools I made, but you should be able to create a couple yourself when I have given you some pointers.

Davaris: thanks, that's great praise indeed.
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2009

Here's some pointers on how to create the walled cities. I don't have much time at the moment, so I can't write out everything... meaning these pointers might only work if you have a pretty good grasp of the software. Sorry!

The walls were drawn using the "Line" tool with these settings:

Color: Grey
    Width: 1

Draw the walls in a box or any way you want them.

I have two different sheets for the walls, WALLS1 and WALLS2. This is because the walls in the back of the town need to be drawn under the houses, while the walls in front of the town need to be drawn above the houses. You can use the "Change properties" tool to move parts of the line you have drawn to the WALLS1 or WALLS2 sheet.

The houses are symbols that I put within the walls and then moved to a new sheet, called HOUSES.

Both WALLS sheets have these effects:

1. Bevel: 1, 50, 0, 1
    2. Glow: Outside, 0, 0, 0, 1, 5
    3. Wall Shadow Directional: 6, 75, 4, Use Global Sun Direction
    4. Bevel: 1, 50, 0, 1
    5. Blur: 1
    6. Bevel: 1, 50, 0, 1